Wanna start a business

Help Support CattleToday:

countrygirl10

Reaction score
Hi! I'm 14 and I've really been thinking about starting up my own beef business. Nothing real big-just enough to jump start me for college. I have a some in the bank from my past 4-H projects and I'm sure my parents would help me out a little if I'm stuck in a rut. What breed would you recommend? And how would you go about the whole process? I was thinking of a bred heifer. Heifer = fair project & keep if real nice;sell if nothing special. Bull = sell. What do you think? I'd use AI for breeding purposes. HELP! :roll:

First of all its a great way to throw some dough in the bank, thats exactly what I did with the help of my parents, I am 21 now about ready to graduate here in a month or so. I would first go about seeing what local breeds you have around you. I started with an black angus heifer first, and sold the heifer calves as club calves for fellow 4-H'ers and bulls for same thing or breeding. See what your local people have or what they want to buy, figure out your marketing first then you will be golden with whatever breed you choose, hope that helps

countrygirl10":8dp3lp2k said:
Hi! I'm 14 and I've really been thinking about starting up my own beef business. Nothing real big-just enough to jump start me for college. I have a some in the bank from my past 4-H projects and I'm sure my parents would help me out a little if I'm stuck in a rut. What breed would you recommend? And how would you go about the whole process? I was thinking of a bred heifer. Heifer = fair project & keep if real nice;sell if nothing special. Bull = sell. What do you think? I'd use AI for breeding purposes. HELP! :roll:
With all of the time it will take you should just get a job for two days a week and make $60 a week untill your 18 60x52x4= $12480 plus interest, but if you can make that playing with cows awesome. :)

I have a son about your age. He has done well buyiong light calves and selling them heavy. If you go this route take along a old fat guy in overalls that has been around the salebarn a few times. Let him tell you which ones to buy and why he suggested them. Good luck, its good seeing a young one interested in the cattle business.

Latest posts