Vibrio

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
OK, here is our dilemma. In the past we have used Breedback 9 to vaccinate our cattle. This includes BVD, IBR, PI3 and Vibrio(as well as others I'm sure). The company that makes this vaccine has changed their vaccines, and now you cannot get the Vibrio in the SAME vaccine as the other diseases.

Their new vaccine is Express 10, with which they have a program where you can register the calves out of vaccinated dams, and they will guarantee no PI calves(BVD). And will pay the current owner of the animal if one turns up to be PI as long as that animal is "Express Verified" (the name of the program). This will be done when you Verify Birthdates on the CCIA website. I am really interested in this program.

The problem is, that the Breedback 9 vaccine was $2.90/dose, and now the new vaccine Express 10 will be $2.55/dose, PLUS another $1.60/dose for the Vibrio vaccine. I am pretty sure (although we haven't looked into it yet) that we can get a similar vaccine to Breedback 9 from a different company for less money than that. BUT, since I am interested in this program how important is the Vibrio? IF Vibrio is a big problem and something that we should not drop then we would likely go to a different vaccine, depending on price.

I haven't really looked into that brand but noticed the other day that alot of different flyers are coming from are vacc. supplier it seems to me that a lot of companies are changing their programs this year and are offering alot of incentives to sign up.Different rewards for the amount of animals you vaccinate .All the way from a set of leather gloves to one year half off.Anyone else notice the competition stepping it up this year as compared to before.Might be time for a change.

Vibrio is a veneral disease and can cause abortions, fertility problems, and it is spread by the bull. If there is any chance of your cattle being exposed to an outside bull, I would definitely vaccinate for it.

We use Bovisheld and VL5SQ. The latter is a vibrio and Lepto vaccine

dun

Are you getting a higher return on the calves you put into this vac program? If not, then why do it? Go with another manufacturer that has the vacinnes you want in the same dose.

sidney411":2ptxcgaf said:
Are you getting a higher return on the calves you put into this vac program? If not, then why do it? Go with another manufacturer that has the vacinnes you want in the same dose.

Well, that I don't know yet. If we vaccinate with this vaccine then the 2008 calves will be eligible for the program. To me it sounds very promising. As the drug company would pay the current market value to the CURRENT owner of any animal that is on the program that turns out to be PI. And the current owner of the calves could look up (using the RFID tag # on the CCIA website) whether or not the animals are vaccinated.

But we won't see anything extra from this program until the fall of 2008, and that is IF the buyers/feedlots decide to pay a premium on cattle in this program. So far that hasn't seemed to have happened for any other program out there. But the key with this one would be the tracibility where they can see which animals are on the program.

They are changing their vaccines, and it will be another year or more before they have an "all in one" vaccine together again. That is why I am wondering how common Vibrio is, and whether it is something important to vaccinate for.

randiliana":3duez8s4 said:
OK, here is our dilemma. In the past we have used Breedback 9 to vaccinate our cattle. This includes BVD, IBR, PI3 and Vibrio(as well as others I'm sure). The company that makes this vaccine has changed their vaccines, and now you cannot get the Vibrio in the SAME vaccine as the other diseases.

Their new vaccine is Express 10, with which they have a program where you can register the calves out of vaccinated dams, and they will guarantee no PI calves(BVD). And will pay the current owner of the animal if one turns up to be PI as long as that animal is "Express Verified" (the name of the program). This will be done when you Verify Birthdates on the CCIA website. I am really interested in this program.

The problem is, that the Breedback 9 vaccine was $2.90/dose, and now the new vaccine Express 10 will be $2.55/dose, PLUS another $1.60/dose for the Vibrio vaccine. I am pretty sure (although we haven't looked into it yet) that we can get a similar vaccine to Breedback 9 from a different company for less money than that. BUT, since I am interested in this program how important is the Vibrio? IF Vibrio is a big problem and something that we should not drop then we would likely go to a different vaccine, depending on price.

It sounds like they are switching their vaccines to put the necessary ones (Vibrio, BVD, etc.) into separate formulations, so you have to buy both to get the coverage you want. Then trying to convince you that the increased cost will be offset by their verification program. Until you see this pan out, I would be hesitant to increase my per head price for vaccinations and add another shot to the process of working cattle, with no guaranteed increased return. Especially when there are numerous other combination vaccine products on the market that can easily meet your needs.

Sounds like the old bait and switch - we're gonna' raise the price and double your labor, but it's all in your best interest! :roll:

cowboyup216":ucluv34r said:
Why not just go with Virashield 6+ VL5 they also make one now with Hardjo Bovis

Well, after a few phone calls to some of the area vets, we have decided to go with the new vaccine.

First off, the cheapest price for any of these vaccines is at the local vet. In fact, it would be cheaper to buy both the new vaccine + the vibrio shot here than to drive 2 hours to save $0.15/dose. Also the vets here don't seem to be of the opinion that it is a necessary shot. And one basically told us that if it were not required by the community pasture (where we send 20 head) that it isn't worth doing. And they do not even stock the vibrio shot unless it is in with another vaccine. Also, we have not had a problem (nor heard of one in the area) with anything other than BVD so we are not really too concerned with the Vibrio ourselves.

rockridgecattle":2k6z0fdb said:
is the "Express Verified" simillar to the Pfizer Gold program? Just curious

I think so, except it pays more attention to the mother cows, and it links the "Express Verified" calves to their RFID tags.

Here is a link that can explain it a lot better than I

http://www.agcanada.com/custompages/sto ... 31&id=1180

Dun - I thought you AI'ed. If so then do you actually need the vibro, or do you just give it because its included with the Lepto? Can vibro be a problem if you only AI?

I would be interested to here from the vaccine companies how they can "guarantee" your calves will not be PI calves.

If one of the cows in your herd is a PI (and some of them do survive and breed) then her calf will be a PI - regardless of whether the cow was vaccinated or not.

dcara":wq4cruds said:

Dun - I thought you AI'ed. If so then do you actually need the vibro, or do you just give it because its included with the Lepto? Can vibro be a problem if you only AI?

Just one of those things we've alwasy done. That way too, when I sell a cow I know she's up to date on all vaccinations she may need.
You're right about the AI, until last year. Since I don;t have the manu l dexterity I used to have, running a bull for clean up has been a good deal. The bad part is what to do with him after breeding season. But I have that covered now to, finally!

dun

cowvet":12hacfs0 said:
I would be interested to here from the vaccine companies how they can "guarantee" your calves will not be PI calves.

If one of the cows in your herd is a PI (and some of them do survive and breed) then her calf will be a PI - regardless of whether the cow was vaccinated or not.

Well, I guess they cannot guarantee that, what they guarantee is to pay for any PI calves that came from cows vaccinated with their vaccine. Now, I am not sure on the minute details, but basically that is what they said.

dcara":r0d7mcva said:

Can vibro be a problem if you only AI?

Sure it can. Neighbor unknowingly buys a few vibrio infected heifers, puts them in with his bull, bull breds them and subsequently decides to check out your heifers. One didn't settle on AI and is in heat, or one is just coming into standing heat - viola! I'm undoubtedly being overly simplistic, but you get the picture. There are quite a few people out there who aren't interested in quality or health, just price. There are just as many that aren't up on their health programs, or are too new/green to know what to vaccinate for.

hi,
talked to our vet yesterday and she said that pfizer gold program has the same guarantee as this express. it also contains vibro(?). It's just not tied to RFID...yet. And it's Fetal protection (FP)

rockridgecattle":2k1hp8lm said:
hi,
talked to our vet yesterday and she said that pfizer gold program has the same guarantee as this express. it also contains vibro(?). It's just not tied to RFID...yet. And it's Fetal protection (FP)

Too late ;-) our cows are all done now. But, the vaccines for these diseases are all fetal protection. That is the biggest reason to vaccinate. Abortion or fetal exposure is the main problem with most of these diseases. The fact that it IS tied in with the RFID is what has me most interested in this program as well.

Latest posts