Veterinary Feed Directive

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Don't know how many of you have read up on the VFD going into affect at the end of the year but here is a link to a site with a lot of Q&A's which might help you out. For those that do not really have a working relationship with a veterinarian I'm hearing people talk of charges of as much as $500 each by the vet just to write you a prescription to purchase feed/mineral etc with antibiotics.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/advice-and ... -questions

TexasBred":rf9weu89 said:
Don't know how many of you have read up on the VFD going into affect at the end of the year but here is a link to a site with a lot of Q&A's which might help you out. For those that do not really have a working relationship with a veterinarian I'm hearing people talk of charges of as much as $500 each by the vet just to write you a prescription to purchase feed/mineral etc with antibiotics.

I have a vet to buy from but will be buying up a lot of stuff before the end of the year - Is there a chance this may be repealed?

skyhightree1":8v1znwt3 said:
TexasBred":8v1znwt3 said:

I have a vet to buy from but will be buying up a lot of stuff before the end of the year - Is there a chance this may be repealed?
Nope.

TexasBred":2fcm2nr1 said:
skyhightree1":2fcm2nr1 said:
TexasBred":2fcm2nr1 said:

Nope.

are you going to stock up

skyhightree1":1u26t7do said:
Is anyone buying up some meds before this takes place?

I'm not, I've never used any medicated feed or mineral. I can see the need for the medicated feed and mineral in the stocker and feed lot business. The main problem is the government is crooked and this is part of a larger scheme.

This is really going to drive up cost an red tape ive known some vets that were easy to work with but some well this is what they have wanted from the start ,i know of one in my area he wants to be in total controll ,one way of putting it .so you would have to call him .,which means in the long run more dollars in his pocket !

True Grit Farms":3muh9rb9 said:
skyhightree1":3muh9rb9 said:

I'm not, I've never used any medicated feed or mineral. I can see the need for the medicated feed and mineral in the stocker and feed lot business. The main problem is the government is crooked and this is part of a larger scheme.

You can't stock up and still be in compliance. For example, if you're currently feeding loose mineral with CTC and plan on buying in bulk, any that has not been used prior to the VFD will need a script. And if you're using the mineral as an aid against foot rot, pinkeye, etc that will be considered off-label and illegal - it can only be used as an aid against anaplasmosis.

Yup, not lovin' the new government restrictions.

TCRanch":mn83rgn5 said:
True Grit Farms":mn83rgn5 said:
skyhightree1":mn83rgn5 said:

You can't stock up and still be in compliance. For example, if you're currently feeding loose mineral with CTC and plan on buying in bulk, any that has not been used prior to the VFD will need a script. And if you're using the mineral as an aid against foot rot, pinkeye, etc that will be considered off-label and illegal - it can only be used as an aid against anaplasmosis.

I am not worried about the govt saying im not in compliance I will be making some large purchases and stock up just in case. I have been getting prescript drugs no issue and will continue however I like have la200 etc on hand and I did like using jumpstart so maybe I will buy a few pallets each month of the stuff for next year. I am a better to have and not need kinda person.

skyhightree1":1hf5pf9i said:
TCRanch":1hf5pf9i said:
True Grit Farms":1hf5pf9i said:

I am not worried about the govt saying im not in compliance I will be making some large purchases and stock up just in case. I have been getting prescript drugs no issue and will continue however I like have la200 etc on hand and I did like using jumpstart so maybe I will buy a few pallets each month of the stuff for next year. I am a better to have and not need kinda person.

Sky: be aware of shelf life. Drugs denature over time. I wouldn't get too overstocked. Even in feed, drugs deteriorate.

Margonme":2emgx2ev said:
skyhightree1":2emgx2ev said:
TCRanch":2emgx2ev said:

Sky: be aware of shelf life. Drugs denature over time. I wouldn't get too overstocked. Even in feed, drugs deteriorate.

Definitely I can use about 6-8 pallet of jumpstart in a year but penneccillin and stuff like that maybe 8 bottles as I use stuff on my hounds as well.

Rambling thoughts...
VFD only applies to antimicrobials mixed into feed... has no impact on injectible/topical/oral products. ONLY specific antimicrobials mixed in feed.

I attended a 3-hour session for veterinarians on the VFD last night, put on by Zoetis & Burkmann feeds. It was helpful, but there will continue to be new questions that pop up between now and when this thing takes effect on Jan 1... and well beyond that point.

I can promise you, there are very few, if any, veterinarians who are looking at this new government regulation as a 'cash-cow'... for most of those folks, it's just another government intrusion into their business, with a whole new set of paperwork that they have to keep on hand for the following two years, and they're open to FDA inspectors showing up to examine their records, unannounced, at any time.
I've spoken with several of my colleagues who've just said, "I'm not going to do it; I'll never write one. Period."
It was NOT a regulation requested by or driven by veterinarians... if you feel the need to point fingers... look at 'consumers'... and at folks (producers & veterinarians alike) who have misused/abused these products.
FDA claims that this reg is not intended to decrease use of antibiotics in feed... but to ensure that when they are used, that they are used correctly. Sounds good... but, they're from the government, and they're here to help us, right?

You can 'stockpile' all you want between now and 1 Jan 2017... but after that date, if you feed it without a valid VFD... you're not in compliance. FDA could potentially come down on you. Presenter last night made the analogy... you can grow and possess all the marijuana you want... but you can't smoke it without being in violation of the law...
First year or so, FDA says they're mainly gonna be 'educating' producers/veterinarians/distributors who are found to be in violation... unless you're committing fraud, in which case they'll nail your hide to the wall... but after that, they likely will get tougher on reinforcement.

Repeal? Not likely. At all.
A VFD will require, as its first point: a valid Veterinarian/Client/Patient Relationship (VCPR). A veterinarian following the 'letter of the law' will be required to have an actual knowledge of you, your animals, your facility/farm. If you don't already have a good working relationship with a veterinarian... you're going to have to develop one... If you don't have one... how much time is that veterinarian going to have to spend with you/on your farm to truly have that VCPR and to be able to write, distribute, file those VFDs... 'time' is that veterinarian's most limited commodity...somebody's gotta pay for that time... and it's gonna be the producer who needs that feed additive.
Additionally, veterinarians won't have 'carte blanche' to prescribe just anything... there are limitations on what antibiotics can be used in certain classes/species of animals (for example, NONE are approved for incorporation into feed for sheep/goats), what concentrations of any given drug can be mixed, how long it can be prescribed to be fed, what conditions it can be prescribed for... and some combinations of drugs are not allowed.

If you, as a producer, are accustomed to mixing your own feed with, say, Aureomycin at XX concentration, you may no longer be allowed to do so, if that concentration is not allowed by FDA... 'cause your vet cannot write a VFD for that level. Oh, and if you're mixing your own feed... FDA has access to you on two levels - both as the producer and as the distributor/manufacturer... and your paperwork had better be in order when that FDA inspector shows up.
And, let's say, if you routinely mix a feed with Aureomycin and Rumensin in it... that combination is not approved, and your vet cannot write a VFD for that. Etc., etc., etc.

Lucky_P said:
Rambling thoughts...
VFD only applies to antimicrobials mixed into feed... has no impact on injectible/topical/oral products. ONLY specific antimicrobials mixed in feed.
quote]

Forgive my ignorance but are you saying injectables as in penicillin and la200 and that type of stuff will be available as usual or require a prescript?

If it's an over-the-counter product - not intended for mixing into feeds - that you've been able to get all along... you'll still be able to get it just like always - but if it's a prescription-only product, you'll still need a script from your veterinarian... the
The VFD only applies to products intended for mixing into feeds...like Aureomycin, etc.

If you've not read the article linked at the beginning of this thread, do so. It doesn't answer every question that may come up, but it's a good start for the lay person.
Excerpt:
Cattle drugs currently requiring a VFD: Tilmicosin
Cattle drugs which change from over-the-counter sales to use only by veterinary feed directive in 2017:
Neomycin
Tylosin
Virginiamycin
Chlortetracycline
Oxytetracycline
(Drugs on this list are affected only in their 'feed' formulations - not injectible forms, like Tylan injectible, LA-200, etc.)

Lucky_P":2tr84vyw said:
If it's an over-the-counter product - not intended for mixing into feeds - that you've been able to get all along... you'll still be able to get it just like always - but if it's a prescription-only product, you'll still need a script from your veterinarian... the
The VFD only applies to products intended for mixing into feeds...like Aureomycin, etc.

If you've not read the article linked at the beginning of this thread, do so. It doesn't answer every question that may come up, but it's a good start for the lay person.
Excerpt:
Cattle drugs currently requiring a VFD: Tilmicosin
Cattle drugs which change from over-the-counter sales to use only by veterinary feed directive in 2017:
Neomycin
Tylosin
Virginiamycin
Chlortetracycline
Oxytetracycline
(Drugs on this list are affected only in their 'feed' formulations - not injectible forms, like Tylan injectible, LA-200, etc.)

Thanks I had read it but wasn't really grasping the whole deal. The only thing im guessing that would affect me is jumpstart I guess.

skyhightree1":cy5u38k6 said:
TexasBred":cy5u38k6 said:
skyhightree1":cy5u38k6 said:
Nope.

Sky the only meds I have on the place is half a bottle of Mycotil I bought 10 years ago. :lol: :lol: And I've never been big on medicated feeds. BTW feeds with Bovatec and Rumensin will still be available and are not affected by this.

TexasBred":1dy8ddak said:
skyhightree1":1dy8ddak said:
TexasBred":1dy8ddak said:

Sky the only meds I have on the place is half a bottle of Mycotil I bought 10 years ago. :lol: :lol: And I've never been big on medicated feeds. BTW feeds with Bovatec and Rumensin will still be available and are not affected by this.

Oh well im good then nothing will change for me then.

True Grit Farms":937vsczy said:
Lucky_P thanks for the knowledgeable post.

X2! I attended a symposium sponsored by Zoetis and they did say there may be some leeway for ranchers in states like Montana, Wyoming because the sheer number of cattle/huge ranches vs the limited number of vets & geography makes it extremely difficult to fully comply.

Latest posts