Veterinary colleges

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
In your opinion what is the best Dvm college or veterinary college. I am considering to be a dvm when I graduate, and want to go to a good college.

Were I am, the best is the one a Saskatoon.

I don't know about around the U of Calgary, unless it's just for pre-vet, or if it is for a doctorate in Vet medicine...someone from down there would be kind enough to correct me on that?

Texas A&M University... i didnt even know there were any others ;-)

johndeereboy":my6o9zhe said:
In your opinion what is the best Dvm college or veterinary college. I am considering to be a dvm when I graduate, and want to go to a good college.

You had better be a straight A student with a lot of references - competition to get in is fierce.

Bez>

I have never heard of a veterinary college being "sub standard". To my knowledge there are line ups to get into almost all of them. Therefore to even be accepted as a student - no matter the learning institution - is a bonus.

As time progresses I believe it will become even more difficult.

They all prescribe to a code of ethics and despite what many people think - provide heck of a service to us producers.

I have personally taken two trips to a university animal hospital with a sick cow - local animal Doc recommended it because he said - "This problem is out of my league" - both times the problem was solved with an amazing professionalism.

Students do the work and professors supervise.

Many folks do not even know this is possible.

Bez>

LSU Vet School....large animals and small animals...they saved my border collie after three vets recomended putting her down...

Bez>":fn114g3t said:
johndeereboy":fn114g3t said:

You had better be a straight A student with a lot of references - competition to get in is fierce.

Bez>

Large animal students have a better chance to be accepted here..

Schools are culling those hard that want to be small animal doctors only.

A family friend just left A&M for Ohio State Vet School. I found that interesting.

i would go with auburn. UGA is decent for horses.UF i think is pretty good. my wife is planning on applying to UGA vet school large animal. there are probably a lot of other good vet schools. apply and see which ones will accept you. good luck

Don't forget to look in your backyard. The UofM has a great program, and UW-Madison is another option. Most of the vets we use have come from both of these schools, and I don't have much to complain about.

I know the "wanting to get away from home" bug is probably biting at you, but with the cost of out-of-state tuition, don't forget about in-state. And, MN offers WI residents "in-state" tuition fees also.

Good luck with everything you decide!

Michele

I heard on the radio yesterday that Kansas and one other state were passing, or had passed, legislation that would cut tuition in half if the vet student would agree to several years of food animal medicine in a rural area after graduation. additional legislation is working its way through in Washington.

Bez>":3cgpso5e said:
I have never heard of a veterinary college being "sub standard". To my knowledge there are line ups to get into almost all of them. Therefore to even be accepted as a student - no matter the learning institution - is a bonus.
I agree.

Latest posts