Vetericyn navel dip

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
We've never really been too concerned with treating navels, but definitely are after this year!! I bought a bottle of the Vetericyn Seven+, or whatever it is, and used it yesterday on some newborn Angus twins for the first time. It is WET where the calf is that we left with the cow, and normally it would take a week for the umbilical to dry up halfway decent. Went out today and it is so dry and shriveled up we could hardly see it.

I'm a believer.

Really. I looked at the MSDS; it's a 0.8% NaOH solution - 99% water.
Yeah, I guess it might cause some drying, but has no antibacterial activity.
$13 for a pint of water with a pinch of lye in it...What was it that P.T. Barnum said?

littletom,
Me too - but I'm not sure I could sleep at night...
Most of those V________ products are >99% water (but it's 'electrolyzed water', so it must be imbued with magical healing properties, right?), with miniscule amounts of chlorine bleach, salt, boric acid added. Probably fine to flush a wound or infected eye with, but flushing with normal saline (or maybe even just water) would be about as effective.
But folks testify to the incredible healing properties! And, they advertise on RFD-TV, so it must be good, right?!?

Give me dilute Betadine solution, thousand of wounded Vietnam Vets and hundreds thousands vet procedures
attest to its efficacy. Chlorhexedine very good also. Wife buys uses Vetricyn for use on horses, she swears by, I swear at.

They said it dries navels, which it did, so that's good enough for me! Betadine is our topical of choice for just about everything else around here.

Latest posts