Vetch

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
I always fertilize and stockpile fescue to cut hay expense. I wanted to put some red clover in to add protein and cut back on the fertilizer I know the clover would be ok to graze by thanksgiving but toyed with the idea of using vetch instead. Would the vetch be ready to graze at the same time as the fescue or would it have to wait till spring? I'm in central Arkansas

I can't help you much but the vetch we had on our leased farm never seem to do much until spring. We are in Northwest Mississippi

I think if I was going to graze it, my vote would be for one of the jumbo ladino clovers, our vetch doesn't seem to do so much in the fall.

I cut a hay field of my neighbors that's covered in vetch. The first cutting in May its so thick it's a nightmare to get the mower through.

After the first cutting I don't see a sign of vetch in the field.

kentuckyguy said:
I cut a hay field of my neighbors that's covered in vetch. The first cutting in May its so thick it's a nightmare to get the mower through.

Yes it is. Had a field we got hay off of one time that was really thick with it and should have been mowed sooner. It was terrible to mow through, and never would cure out good in spots even after close to a week and it being tetterred. That stuff was so tangled up I could bout leave the tractor and baler stationary and it would pull several feet of windrow in at a time in the thickest spots. First cutting is typically only time we see it. It's good stuff if you can get your timing right.

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2004/winter/vetch.asp

Something to consider...

kentuckyguy said:

Ha! Amazing post. When I read your reply, I had to look twice at the name on it ensuring that it wasn't mine.

I just experienced the same thing helping a neighbor. Vetch is prolific in the spring as others have mentioned but after it gets high enough to round bale, which is where my neighbors was, it's a tangled nightmare. For all it's good points, I say no for me.

Latest posts