Vetch

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing a good year for vetch? Its everwhere here this year, we've always had some, but it's just really gone crazy!

Snoop I'm seeing quite a bit around here this year. Got some in the pasture and even in my wife's flower beds not to mention the right of way on the highway has a lot. No idea where it came from unless seed came out of bales of hay being hauled down the road.

Cooler wet Fall... seed sprouted and didn't burn up by drying out and burning up. Clover is everywhere as are a lot of weeds. Bumper crop of Dandelion too.

Clover is exploding here too, not Button, Arrowleaf, Red, a little White in one spot....it has tiny yellow flowers. Don't know where it came from. Owned this farm 40 years and I know I didn't plant it, I didn't put any steel in the soil. I did however toss out some commercial fertilizer in one spot where it has gone nuts. I did plant some KY 31 in my coastal field that has been gradually disappearing fall of 2017, with a little fertilizer and it too has exploded. Going to let it finish heading out and maturing to see if I can get a solid stand....get the clumps elbow to elbow for a smoother ride. Lots of rain, just about right.

My clover is exploding. I see more vetch than normal, but not much to speak of. I plan to plant some vetch this fall.

I broadcast some hairy vetch and also some chicory seed in my garden in December and ran over it with a aerator pulled behind my four wheeler and got a pretty good stand. About a month or so ago it hadn't grown much so I broadcast some 13-13-13 on it and now it's higher than a bear's butt.

I'm a fan of it, although I have heard stories of guy stopping the baler and it continuing to feed the baler, might be bs. The clover here is doing good also, but the vetch is as good as I have ever seen it, growing in the wheat, and the wheat is tall.

snoopdog said:
I'm a fan of it, although I have heard stories of guy stopping the baler and it continuing to feed the baler, might be bs. The clover here is doing good also, but the vetch is as good as I have ever seen it, growing in the wheat, and the wheat is tall.

I've had it wrap around the haybine reel.. that was a heck of a mess!

I've pulled the push bar down cutting rye with a heavy mix of vetch in it. Doesn't really matter what happens it happens fast when dealing with vetch in the mix.

My my. How unpredictable is life. Read this article and responded....didn't think all that much about it....didn't have a clue as to what plant is Vetch.

Out spraying fire out mounds this afternoon in one of my pastures and come upon wads and wads of something I had never seen in this pasture with little purple flowers and vines........ remembered this posting....curious....did this: "https://keys.lucidcentral.org/keys/v3/pastures/Html/Common_vetch.htm:
and wala....I inherited some Vetch. Wherefore hast thou originated asked the wise man?????? Beats me. Never saw it in the pasture before, sprayed weeds with 2-4D couple of years ago, put on some balanced chemical fertilizer last fall, no steel in the ground for at least the last maybe 3 years.....just popped up from nowhere.

Having read the mentioned article, pasture is on a gently sloping hill, slightly alkaline clay, a Legume...like my Austrian peas in another field, have a drum mower that doesn't care what kind of forage it cuts.....I think I'll let it mature, seed out, and cover the pasture.

Have another field of KY 31 and volunteer Rye. Checked it today and seed heads are starting to brown up, height is over 24" and coming right along, real thick. This year I am going to wait till the weather warms and dries so I can get it cut and baled properly which is a lot easier for me to watch it do that since i am wanting it to reseed itself to get solid coverage and smoother riding across it. Cubes can make up the protein deficiency if it gets to be a problem and if bovines can eat and digest 1 ½" SS hay, they can surely digest mature Fescue and Rye stems.

About time things went right.

Clover and Alfalfa seem to be doing great this spring, wish I could say the same about the grasses I planted.
Lot better than last April when on April 18 we had a high of 38. :shock:

47602899132_bedcc88b94_c.jpg

Latest posts