Very Interesting Idea

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
A very interesting restaurant idea. Thoughts?
MANHATTAN, KS - (May 1st, 2012) - LOCAL, a non-profit eatery featuring a colorful and unique menu of salads, sandwiches, pizzas and more, is scheduled to open May 19th. Unique in its concept and operation, LOCAL will support both area farmers in offering locally grown food and local charities by donating 100% of its profits each month to their cause. The Manhattan restaurant will be located in Plaza West at 3011 Anderson Avenue, next to Max Fitness, the same property currently held by Ingredient.

The first of its kind in the nation, LOCAL will open as a non-profit restaurant committed to donating back 100% of its profits to the local community. By partnering with a new organization each month, LOCAL will be able to work alongside a variety of charitable programs and foundations within the community and donate profits directly to their cause. Over the course of a year, ten local charitable organizations will be selected to receive monthly profits from LOCAL. In the two remaining months, one in the spring and one in the fall, LOCAL will work with area schools and youth organizations that can sign up to receive a percentage of the sales for one evening.

LOCAL has secured a two-acre farm less than one half mile from the restaurant where fresh fruits and vegetables are grown to be incorporated into the menu. In addition to offering Kansas-fed beef, LOCAL will also depend upon area food vendors to provide the freshest ingredients that Manhattan and Kansas regional farmers have to offer. This unique set of offerings will provide for a more specialized and streamlined menu from that previously offered by Ingredient.

"I am excited to bring the new concept of LOCAL to Manhattan because it's important for all of us to re-invest in our community," Dave Dreiling, owner of LOCAL, explains. "This restaurant is our way of giving back and offering a way for fellow community members to learn more about important local charities and to provide support."

To assist in selecting the local charitable organizations featured each month, LOCAL is establishing an advisory board to serve as its non-profit selection committee. Organizations interested in requesting an application for consideration can email Kari Krier at [email protected] or call 785.537.8822 ext 1234 or go online at http://www.LocalFoodandFriends.com.

"We are very honored to have been chosen to be the first charity to receive 100% of the monthly profits by LOCAL," Maribeth Kieffer, Executive Director, Flint Hills Breadbasket, explains. "In the last ten months the Breadbasket has served over 10,157 more individuals compared to a year ago. As you can see our need has increased significantly. We are very thankful for the support of LOCAL."

LOCAL has embraced a design highlighting the familiar scenes of the Manhattan community and surrounding areas. From the city streets of Manhattan to the tallgrass prairies of the Flint Hills, the photos and dècor match the unique flavor of the local community. The newly re-designed restaurant will offer a robust breakfast menu and will be open seven days a week.

Catering for everything from business lunches to casual events, including breakfasts, can be ordered through Adam Magette of HCI Hospitality at 785.341.4010.

Unique in its concept and operation, LOCAL supports both area farmers in offering locally grown food and local charities by donating 100% of its profits each month to their cause. The non-profit eatery reflects the unique flavor of the local community and features a colorful menu of salads, sandwiches, pizzas and more. For more information visit www.LocalFoodandFriends.com.
http://localfoodandfriends.com/

Interesting idea. They must mean they'll donate 100% of net profits, but I can't understand how they would do that, and keep doing it, unless they are independently wealthy (or the net vs. gross is high on the operator's side net).

Kathie in Thorp":44gnhdjj said:
Interesting idea. They must mean they'll donate 100% of net profits, but I can't understand how they would do that, and keep doing it, unless they are independently wealthy (or the net vs. gross is high on the operator's side net).
I know the people that own it have had at least one successful restaurant previously, so maybe that have a lot of leftover money. lol

FarmGirl10":13obhw9b said:
Kathie in Thorp":13obhw9b said:
I know the people that own it have had at least one successful restaurant previously, so maybe that have a lot of leftover money. lol
I'm totally ALL for any restaurant, grocery or similar business that will support local producers. I hope it works, for all in it. :)

Profit is an elusive commodity in the restaurant business. I would love to see the cancelled checks at the end of 2 years.

Donating profit is easy-- pay all the bills(not for profits get to keep money to cover incidentals, repairs and maintenance) and huge salaries and what little is left is profit.
Sounds more like a marketing tool and tax evasion to me.

Howdyjabo":27ned2rg said:
Donating profit is easy-- pay all the bills(not for profits get to keep money to cover incidentals, repairs and maintenance) and huge salaries and what little is left is profit.

My thoughts exactly, and a great advertising gimmick to boot. Wonder how much markup the owner charges for the equipment? Or, in the alternative, charges for the lease of equipment.

slick4591":1ve8msyz said:
Howdyjabo":1ve8msyz said:

My thoughts exactly, and a great advertising gimmick to boot. Wonder how much markup the owner charges for the equipment? Or, in the alternative, charges for the lease of equipment.

Similar scheme as the animal welfare groups. If you saw the salaries the employees get for their "tireless sacrifice for the animals" you'd be shocked.

We have a church run farm not far from the house. All the proceeds from the "farming" goes to the church. Employees have 10% taken out of their checks each week for their tithe. The church also does logging, trucking, owns a restaurant and a car wash. Most of the employees are related to the preacher and most live in homes that belong to the church. Its all done in God's name and as such is not taxed.

Jogeephus":1kzg65tw said:
We have a church run farm not far from the house. All the proceeds from the "farming" goes to the church. Employees have 10% taken out of their checks each week for their tithe. The church also does logging, trucking, owns a restaurant and a car wash. Most of the employees are related to the preacher and most live in homes that belong to the church. Its all done in God's name and as such is not taxed.
Whoa wait a minute Jogee. This can't be. That guy and all his family lives over here in Texas. He too has a logging operation, a house construction company, a church for each child to pastor and HE gets all the tithe, love offering, etc. etc. etc. Wife drives a Navigator, house is bigger than the courthouse and last pic I saw of them both they were sitting on one of those new 3 wheeled motorcycles...bright yellow. From what I can tell, all they do is sing, dance, pass the plate and multiply.

Jogeephus":3egqm5jw said:
I have a pew at the barn, maybe I need to start preaching to ya'll heathens. ;-)
Maybe we should find a pew. Have a friend that says often he needs to start his own independent church -- best racket going. (However, we would never be mistaken for a devout follower of the God most of us know!!)

Kathie in Thorp":2ee0xdju said:
Jogeephus":2ee0xdju said:
I have a pew at the barn, maybe I need to start preaching to ya'll heathens. ;-)
Maybe we should find a pew. Have a friend that says often he needs to start his own independent church -- best racket going. (However, we would never be mistaken for a devout follower of the God most of us know!!)

I wouldn't got getting a pew till you are an ordained minister. This could be difficult. Just ask Jesse or Al. But to help facilitate matters you might want to look into this. I have found solice here and you are just a few clicks away from being a preacher and therefore able to get any and all tithes, love offerings or gifts from the plate AND your whole operation can be a non profit organization and not be responsible for paying those pesky taxes that get in the way of profits. You'll now have more money to continue your charitable works.

http://dudeism.com/ordination-form/