Very Good Cowdog Video

Help Support CattleToday:

Those are pretty good dogs. That white dog looked like a heck of a worker, but they didn't show him finishing anything. Those cattle must have been at least half dog-broke.... they were turning pretty good without much tooth being used.

A good dog can turn them without biting much, broke or not.
the dogs you see chewing on cattle alot are very suspect in my mind for being weak. Its easy to run around and take fly by hits.

Weak? Do you mean weak-eyed? I've run cattle that aren't stopping unless something makes them stop. That something is 50 lbs of pure grit that grabs and holds. They can bark, slash, etc all they want and those cows won't stop.

*I should have specified in my original post that my experience is with cur dogs. Not trying to throw a blanket over all dogs... I've only worked with BCs on cattle a couple of times. Different style, but very handy.

Sorry- I should have specified I was NOT referring to cur dogs.
Totally different working style /goal

In regards to heading dogs- yes I do mean weak as in---- no power and /or afraid .
Sometimes the dog standing its ground,holding them and waiting for them to turn is more effective-- than the fast and furious biting.
If the cattle are ignoring the dog, some fast and furious biting sure does get their attention, but I like it used as a last resort.
Once the cattle get excited its hard to steer them- and I hate running lbs off for no good reason.
I like it slow and steady.

Gotcha. We can do slow and steady.... but it takes a bit of time to get stuff settled down to that point. Somedays it would be nice to have some good pen dogs for the close-in work.

Latest posts