Vertical crack /cow

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
I have a large cow with a tiny vertical crack at the very top of her front hoof. She has had it for a few week now and is limping except when feed is involved then she moves rather well with no limp. When she is standing, resting she holds it up some of the time. We had a vet come out for a heifer so our plan was for him to check her hoof out but he wouldn't mess with her. She has a baby and she isn't very friendly. Our vets don't work on hooves in chutes any more and said we would have to bring her in and use their new table. That was a week ago. He didn't look at it at all. Would this crack that is in the hairline be causing all this pain? Any suggestions on what to do to make it heal faster. The big crack is old and never bothered her. Looks like the two are going to meet. She is a little humped back so I feel like it makes her walk a little off. Tends to get crab claws on that right hoof. Any advice on healing would be appreciated!

That big crack she has had a good long time. This small one in the hairline just popped up and dosnt meet the big crack yet. She hasn't limped at all until this small crack it the top showed up. It does look like it meets the old crack in pic. Any ideas on putting anything on it.

Not sure about the crack. Do you have a headgate you can get her in and try to get a good look at it? I would want to try to look at the sides and bottom as well if possible in case she had something stuck in it. Could have an abscess or foot rot as well.

I'm sure she's on optimum nutrition etc. etc. Hoof cracks, just kinda go with the territory. Pretty common actually. The lameness may not even be from the crack. Any discharge from it?

They have mineral tubs year around. Nothing oozing. It's really dosnt look swollen. The back of her hoof looks exactly like the other one. Does not look like foot rot. We are probably just going to load her up and bring her to vet. It's pretty expensive.we did give her 50 cc of LA 200 about 2 weeks ago just in case.

We do have a chute. We looked at it, gave her the shots but did not lift it. We wouldn't be able to trim it or whatever. She is pretty mean when she has a baby. We do not want to get rid of her. I'm just guessing that this new tiny crack that is in the hairline can be that painful?? Is it bad to seal it with something?? Blu-kote...

colleen":2h7h8har said:
We do have a chute. We looked at it, gave her the shots but did not lift it. We wouldn't be able to trim it or whatever. She is pretty mean when she has a baby. We do not want to get rid of her. I'm just guessing that this new tiny crack that is in the hairline can be that painful?? Is it bad to seal it with something?? Blu-kote...

I don't think I would seal it. The only thing I have ever found, that will even remotely last is epoxy.

Latest posts