Vermeer Round Balers

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
We are looking at buying a Vermeer round baler. It will be a used round baler. Wondering what the pro's and con's are of these round balers?

I have had several Vermeer balers over the years and I liked them a lot. By tradition I am strictly a John Deere man(family worked for JD last 3 generations). I own several pieces of JD equipment. The only thing I own that is not green is the Vermeer baler. I have run numerous balers and still like the vermeer best. Nothing really wrong with the others, but still like the vermeer best. I currently have a 605L.

Another plus is that the vermeer dealer lives about 3 miles from my house and always is very free with advice if I encounter a minor problem. He also worked for John Deere for many years but for the last 15 has been the vermeer dealer. In this area the vermeer balers are also much cheaper than JD.

LibertyIIE":25rqy5i9 said:
I have had several Vermeer balers over the years and I liked them a lot. By tradition I am strictly a John Deere man(family worked for JD last 3 generations). I own several pieces of JD equipment. The only thing I own that is not green is the Vermeer baler. I have run numerous balers and still like the vermeer best. Nothing really wrong with the others, but still like the vermeer best. I currently have a 605L.

Another plus is that the vermeer dealer lives about 3 miles from my house and always is very free with advice if I encounter a minor problem. He also worked for John Deere for many years but for the last 15 has been the vermeer dealer. In this area the vermeer balers are also much cheaper than JD.
You can take a Vermeer baler run it gears faster, make heavier bales and do more work than competition's baler and buy it for less money. After all Vermeer did invent the large round baler.

mseries.jpg

Hey Peddler - Did you guys ever recover that stolen baler ? It's a shame what people will steal these days - I believe they'll steal almost anything that ain't nailed down.

I have a 605F. Con the belts blow out if you start the bale too fast or don't feed across the baler by driving back and forth across the wind row. Pro lots of them around. Sturdy. And product support is great. Call them with your model number and they will send you a service manual free. Two dealers with in 20 miles of me. resale value.

Iornpeddler,

Is there a lot to setting the bale density on a rebel 5400 series baler ? I am thinking my bales may be a little bit on the light side. I have not weighed any of them. But they just seem like it would not hurt for them to be a little bit tighter.

stepper on my older baler I have a pressure gauge and value kinda like this one. your owners manual should tell you min and max pressures
baledensity.jpg

dj,

my baler has an adjustment just like that. But i dont have a owners manual. And i am affraid to make any adjustments with out knowing what i am doing.

stepper
call vermeer they'll send you a free manual if you give the model and serial number I think it is. is there a pressure gauge in there some where?

Stepper":2f4derm7 said:
dj,

my baler has an adjustment just like that. But i dont have a owners manual. And i am affraid to make any adjustments with out knowing what i am doing.
Turn it in to pack your bales better,and to make them heavier.Turn it out to make them lighter and not packed so tight,so if the hay is a little on the tough side it can breath better.

Thanks for the information. I may try adjusting mine just a little heavier.

jmbadavis":8hwy2496 said:
We are looking at buying a Vermeer round baler. It will be a used round baler. Wondering what the pro's and con's are of these round balers?
I just spent some one on one time with a 605K today. It is the neighbors . It's sturdy , simple and makes a good bale. Don't ever get involved in changing the inner bearing on the stub shaft that is driven by the pick-up shaft. It's not good. No room for a rachet and socket and you can't see what you are doing very well with a box wrench . They could have designed that part better. I kind of like the machine though.

I don't have any personal experience with Vermeer balers, however when I was shopping for a hard core baler this year, the first place I stopped was a local dealer that I have alot of respect for. I've bought several pieces of equipment from him in the past, and always been treated well and been happy with the level of knowledge.

Anyway, when I asked him about a Vermeer, he refused to sell me one as they'd had alot of problems in the last 3 or 4 years with belts breaking and inability to get any kind of real ground speed with them. These comments were echoed by a couple ranchers I know down south, who found they could only get 3 or 4000 bales out of their 605Ks before having to fix/replace belts. When I asked my dealer what else he had to offer, he said 'Nothing. The only line we carry is Vermeer'. So that tells me he wasn't simply trying to push another make/model.

One good indicator of a baler's quality and level of service is to check around the local custom outfits and see what they're running. Custom operators do not allow poor performing balers to stay around, and they tend to be vocal about the junk they've owned in the past. In my area, NH outnumbers all the other balers by a factor of 10:1, even though we have several excellent other brand dealers in the area.

Just a few random thoughts.

Edit: Something I should add: According to a Vermeer owner on Ranchers, they had a belt change up of some kind a month or two ago. No feedback as to whether it improved matters or not, but I thought I should add it.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1yu7ifwe said:
I don't have any personal experience with Vermeer balers, however when I was shopping for a hard core baler this year, the first place I stopped was a local dealer that I have alot of respect for. I've bought several pieces of equipment from him in the past, and always been treated well and been happy with the level of knowledge.

Anyway, when I asked him about a Vermeer, he refused to sell me one as they'd had alot of problems in the last 3 or 4 years with belts breaking and inability to get any kind of real ground speed with them. These comments were echoed by a couple ranchers I know down south, who found they could only get 3 or 4000 bales out of their 605Ks before having to fix/replace belts. When I asked my dealer what else he had to offer, he said 'Nothing. The only line we carry is Vermeer'. So that tells me he wasn't simply trying to push another make/model.

Rod

Not every dealer of any brand is created equal. John Deere, Vermeer, New Holland & Hesston (AGCO) all use belts from the same sources. JD & Hesston balers have to use aggressive traction belts to turn the bale because these balers do not have drum rollers in the bottom that the bales rest on. The drum roller turns the bale for NH & Vermeer balers and this design actually puts less stress on the belts. You can get the same belt lacings on any of the balers.

We have sold over 4,000 round balers in 34 years. We lace belts for every MFG out there. Someone is feed you a line of bull on belt problems with Vermeer. Most people have belt problems because they ran a object ( stick, rock,etc) into the baler and this caused a lacing problem. If belts are not laced to the same length as the other belts then the shortest belt will be taking the most of the load. Take JD balers have two lengths of belts with 6" difference in length on balers like a 535. If you don't have this stager correct then the baler will not work correctly. If you have belts at various lengths you will not make the best bales and your monitor will not give you the correct readings.

The dealer you talked to must have some other agenda than selling balers. I can tell you the Vermeer balers work and have no more problems than any other make being sold. You either talked to the wrong person or that dealer needs his Vermeer dealership removed. Vermeer originated the large round baler and still leads the industry in round baler technology. If any brand has bad dealer, then for sure that MFG will suffer in market penetration in that trade area.

ironpeddler":1l3vytgt said:
The dealer you talked to must have some other agenda than selling balers. I can tell you the Vermeer balers work and have no more problems than any other make being sold. You either talked to the wrong person or that dealer needs his Vermeer dealership removed. Vermeer originated the large round baler and still leads the industry in round baler technology. If any brand has bad dealer, then for sure that MFG will suffer in market penetration in that trade area.

Dunno, but it strikes me as odd that this dealer is good to excellent on every other brand they sell. Its possible of course, but I find it tough to believe they'd be so weak on only one single line of equipment.

Anyway, I don't want to debate the point as my experience isn't first hand, so I won't grind on it.

Just for interests sake, here's the Ranchers thread on Vermeer balers: http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11222

Just out of curiosity, what kind of max ground speed can you expect from a Vermeer when baling 3 ton/acre alfalfa on smooth ground? I'd want to see minimum 1800 lb bales.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3tc9i7tq said:
ironpeddler":3tc9i7tq said:

Dunno, but it strikes me as odd that this dealer is good to excellent on every other brand they sell. Its possible of course, but I find it tough to believe they'd be so weak on only one single line of equipment.

Anyway, I don't want to debate the point as my experience isn't first hand, so I won't grind on it.

Just for interests sake, here's the Ranchers thread on Vermeer balers: http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11222

Just out of curiosity, what kind of max ground speed can you expect from a Vermeer when baling 3 ton/acre alfalfa on smooth ground? I'd want to see minimum 1800 lb bales.

Rod

Any Newer Vermeer baler will take hay in the 8-12 MPH without the bale quality suffering. The 605 XL or 605 M is going to produce bales in the 2000-2400 range depending on the moisture level 12-20%. If the moisture is above that then the bales will weight even more.

There is no question that there is a nefarious agenda by the poster on Ranchers.net. We sell 3 ply Legg belts all day long for US$1,195 for the Vermeer 605XL baler, and I know 3 other Internet dealers selling belts at close to the same prices. That posting just does not pass the smell test.

Latest posts