Velpar - Smutgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
Anyone use Velpar before? Velpar is labelled to control Smutgrass safely in Bahiagrass (Bermudagrass also). Priced at $90/gallon in 2.5 gallon jugs and applied at a rate of 3pts to the gallon.

From Dupont website for grazing:
Livestock can be grazed on pasture immediately following a broadcast application and treated acres may be cut, dried and fed just 38 days after application. For non-crop and forestry sites, Velpar® L controls key weeds as well as brush and trees.

I'm building me a PTO sprayer, does anyone have a roller pump laying around they want to part with? Also looking for a boomless tip. What are the things you would include if you were building your own sprayer? I plan to use this tank as a dedicated pto broadcast sprayer. I already have a small 25G tank with an electric pump that I will keep as a dedicated Glyphosate tank. I'm the kind of person that does not like to have one tank for everything, because I spray alot of different things and I don't trust the chemical neutralizers. For example, I got 22 rose bushes and do not want to risk spraying my preemerge chemical in my rose beds and have a trace of glyphosate that wipes them out. To much time and effort into those roses.

I use Velpar to control smutgrass but I will only use it as a spot spray into the crowns of the smutgrasss. Velpar will stunt Bahia and Bermuda pretty good if you broadcast it. Spot spraying velpar does a wonderful job killing smutgrass.

I have so much that spot spray will take forever. I had already thought about roundup but mixed strong to not take so long to see where I sprayed, but then found an article on Velpar in the local Market Bulletin.

That's not a problem and to me still better than discsing and not being able to graze for much longer. Thanks for the heads up and I'll grab some rounds bales and have them ready for when I do spray.

txffamom":3qtkmtvs said:
I sent a pm with some additional info. If you need more, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Got your PM and called Matt. Great source of information and super nice guy. He mentioned no surfactant needed. Velpar is not a foliage herbicide, so no surfactant needed. He suggested that I wait until October to apply, but Velpar could be applied anytime from July to October. Reason being is Smutgrass is a perennial, so when it goes into dormantcy, Smutgrass stores carbohydrates in its roots. So applying late when the Smutgrass is going into dormantcy, the grass is drawing in more herbicide into the root system. He also mentioned that Velpar does need some rainfall. No specific amount, just an afternoon shower is enough to activate it. Some yellowing will occur, but by waiting until October to apply, the grazing grass is minimal, so no major loss of grazing grounds.

Offered me to email him anytime as that would be the best way to get ahold of him.

Matt also suggested I call my local NRCS office as there may be Smutgrass control funds available to help offset the costs.

Latest posts