smutgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

ragweed

Reaction score
i have smutgrass in one of my pastures. thinking of trying velpar l has anyone tried it? and what kind of results with the 4.5 pints or less for no grazing restrictions?

We used Velpar and it did help. If you expect Velpar to kill it all in one swoop it ain't gonna happen. Smutgrass is tough to get rid of!! Main thing, you can't use it near trees. Read the label carefully. After spraying and uprooting it for several years we probably have 50-75% less than when we started.

We used a product called Pronone Power Pellets. Google it for more info. Pricey but has some advantages over Velpar.

Last year we sprayed with Roundup and the boom sprayer under trees. Then we turned it and planted ryegrass.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

ragweed":mwbdluve said:
i have smutgrass in one of my pastures. thinking of trying velpar l has anyone tried it? and what kind of results with the 4.5 pints or less for no grazing restrictions?

If you got it one in is in all :nod: makes some mighty fine hay cow's love it.
You are in a battle at least in the this part of the world you can't win easily without a costly penalty.

I have some smutgrass encroachment and I mixed some roundup with velpar at a very high rate and spot sprayed each mound right in the crown and it killed every hill I sprayed. Don't know if we are talking the same smutgrass though cause cows don't like ours type.

Jogeephus":1eis2z3v said:
I have some smutgrass encroachment and I mixed some roundup with velpar at a very high rate and spot sprayed each mound right in the crown and it killed every hill I sprayed. Don't know if we are talking the same smutgrass though cause cows don't like ours type.

I have a bottom in a leased hay field I couldn't win the battle in so I started baling it.
My cow's love it. I can put out a roll of coastal, smut or bahia and they will turn there nose up to the coastal.

Jogeephus":2fepa7ve said:

im from south east alabama and our cows want touch ours either. a high rate of velpar or round up. veilpar calls for 3 to 4 gals per acre on smutgrasss if i read it right

Once it gets tall and seeds out my cows wont touch it. I start putting hay out in the winter when the cattle start eating the tops off the smutgrass. I know the grass is about gone. I've never tested it but I hear it has no nutritional value.

Latest posts