Veal calves

Help Support CattleToday:

shorty

Reaction score
I start holstien bull calves to sell as feeders , a friend wants me to raise him one for veal , does anyone know of a site that will give a feeding program for a veal calf from start to finish ? I found a few sites but so far none that give a specific feeding program.

they are raised in the hutches an fed milk an grain till 4 months old.the milk makes them tender so they say.they claim they dont need to move much so they get no muscle on them.so you butcher them at 300lbs

I already have the hutch , I want to keep him on just milk for about two months and then feed some grain along with the milk for the last two months , what I need to know is type of milkreplacer ( fat and protien content ) should I use and how much should I be feeding to keep him growing good and what type of grain to feed at the end.

They sell milk replacer that is specific for veal. I recall that it is high in fat and low in iron (they do not what the veal to be real red in color).

Shorty,
Where are you at in eastern Pa? I am in Lancaster County. I raise Holstein Steers from 200 lbs to feeders. I am looking for a source for 200 lb Holstein steers in batches of 8-10. The guy that was raising mine cant supply me much, his wife just had a stroke. Do you have any interest in selling some young calves? I only raise about 20 a year.

I'm in lehigh county , I raise mine up to 500 lbs and sell them as feeders, I don,t know of anybody around here that would sell them at that size.

My wife's mother's family is from uniondale,pa near Elk Mountain beautiful country love visiting but haven't in awhile

I would start him on grain earlier than 2 months even if it is just alittle simply to get the Rumen ready to handle it. Also i doubt you can get him to 300# by 4 months without grain young. Some dairy outfits are weaning calves at less than 30 days and they only get grain. Grain is very key in veal operations.

Beef11 could you expand on your comment about grain being key in a veal operation. I was thinking of offering veal by special order, but always thought it was the milk that was key to raising veal.

Thanks.

Latest posts