Variable Selling Price of Heavy Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a load of feeders that are really putting on the pounds grazing alfalfa. The biggers ones are now up to 800 pounds. In the past, I have usually sold them at about 750 lbs.

When I look at the recent auction selling prices - - it seems like the 800 to 900 pound feeder selling prices are more eratic than the prices for lighter weights.

Is is variability a typical situation when selling heavies :?:

I dont have an answer but a question if you dont mind?

do you have bloat problems grazing alfalfa? r they on straight green alfalfa?

thanks

One reason the buyers are more skitish about those big calves, is they have a much smaller window to price cheaper feed and get them sold at a good price! On the other hand good short term prices and cheap feed can make the heavy ones bring a nice check.

I think another reason is they can't age them as easy. Steve in my area we have special feeder sales. 700- 800 ponders were selling for 1.00 to 1.05 two months ago. I don't know what now.

Scotty

ND":l2k3ljwl said:
I dont have an answer but a question if you dont mind?

do you have bloat problems grazing alfalfa? r they on straight green alfalfa?

thanks

I had them on new seeding for a week - - mostly alfalfa, some white clover (it comes like a weed here), and pigeon grass. They bloat up the first afternoon and then look fine. I feed them hay for a morning and then switched them to another paddock which is mostly clover with about 30% festolium. Same thing - they bloat up the first afternoon and then do fine.

I worry about bloat but the trocar has stayed in my tool box all summer... I am not sure if bloat risk is way overrated, or this mid to late summer season is just not the high risk period.