Valve Core?

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but...

Tried to put a little air in a fluid filled rear tractor tire (with tube) last night. Added a little air, checked with pressure gauge, and when gauge was pulled off, air started coming out stem. Decided to try a new valve core, and when taking existing core out the air pressure pushed it out into the grass and we couldn't find it. Got several different cores and none of them seem to fit. Are there different sizes of valve stem cores? Or do I still have the part of the old core in the stem? It looks like it is all out but as I said we can't find the old core and since there is fluid in the tires I need the stem on top and with the cab it makes it hard to see down the stem. I really hope I don't have to have a service truck out to replace the entire tube.

Thanks

Probably have a piece of the rotted core stuck in the stem. You can also remove the larger stem and replace the whole works, sometimes this is easier than trying to chase the threads and install a new core.

Not all cores are created equal. I had 1 tire on the truck that over a span of a month would lose enough air to set off the sensors. Didn;t know it was the core at the time. Dismounted the tire, cleaned and checkd the rim and the bead. Put it back together and a month later it was low again. Went to the tire shop and asked them about it. He said I bet the core is red. Sure enough it was. Replaced it with a black one and no problems in 6 months. Not that all red cores are bad or black cores are good, just that sometimes changing a core will solve weird problems. Clean out the stem well and put in a brand new one.

Those small cheap cross shaped valve core tools work very well. One end will fish out the old broken pieces, the other end will rethread the valve.

bird dog":26h6tocr said:
Those small cheap cross shaped valve core tools work very well. One end will fish out the old broken pieces, the other end will rethread the valve.
Yup, wouldn;t be without one.

yeah, it's a busted off piece of old valve core thats hanging you up. Was this tire filled? the calcium really does corrode them.

They usually have an adapter to a bigger valve body on the tire, which you can remove and replace.. IF they aren't so badly corroded you break them off trying to remove them as well

A valve stem extension may be a good option at this point.. worth a shot

You guys were right, there was a broken off piece still in there. Used an easy out. All is good again. Thanks!

Latest posts