vaccination

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
what is the best all around vac? for preg cows,open,calves,whole herd.when is the best time to vac? how often do u blackleg?

Wow, this is a question that will get many varied responses.

I'm in south Louisiana and here's what I do:

Vaccinate and worm twice a year, in the spring and fall. Normally vaccinate with the combos out there (last time I used Virashield VL5) that are safe for pregnant cows. I vaccinate everything, including calves. These vaccines are normally a certain dose (5 cc's) for each animal. For worming I've always used Ivomec plus, because we do have liver flukes down here. I've just recently switched to pour on wormers for the fall worming. I normally apply insecticide ear tags in the spring and pull them off in the fall. I put insecticide tags on calves as well. In the spring working I blackleg.

I understand some of the mlv vaccines can take 30 days to be removed from the cows system, we there vaccinate at least 30 days before each breeding season.
We also vaccinate calves with the same vaccine that they will receive when weaned - improves immunity responses - and bred cows at preg check time. Vet chooses appropriate vaccines. I let the vet do the vaccines so I can prove to buyers this step has been done properly.
Valerie

i do the same program as cypressfarms except for the eartags and pour on. i also give them a dose of I-site for pinkeye in the Spring.

tsmaxx47":238sbg3e said:
i also give them a dose of I-site for pinkeye in the Spring.

That's the beauty of Brangus; I can't remember ever having a case of pinkeye in any Brangus cows that we have.

Latest posts