Vaccination gun

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
What vaccination gun would you use for 200 mama cows? In other words, is it worth using one for that many mama cows? I'm sure there is more than one good one but I want to narrow it down.

The vets here use Allflex and Hauptner. You can probably google them to compare. Also, search on Cattle Today; I think there is a thread or two. As I recall, Hauptner is pricey!

I use bottle mounts got one from my vet cant find a name anywhere it has covers for bottles up to 250ml the bottles pop in and then screw on it works great. Tried another brand Eco Matic its just ok its more like a one size fits all, the bottle just pops on and is real hard to get off there. I will ask the vet the name of the good one.

I've used Hauptner forever. I also have an Ideal vaccine gun. I like the Haupter for smaller doses because of the smaller diameter barrel. The larger barrel of the Ideal I like better for a 5cc dose.

bse":pin040xg said:
I use bottle mounts

I had never heard of this until you mentioned it. I googled it for a picture.

I've got 2 questions:
Do you worry about dropping it and breaking the bottle?
Do you switch the syringe portion when you change vaccines so you're not 'contaminating' one vaccine with the residual remaining in the syringe from the previous vaccine?

A word of caution: disease transmission.
It's one thing to use a multi-use syringe - and, I'm presuming, multiple-use needles - on stocker and feedlot cattle that are going to have a pretty limited lifespan - but, on a breeding cow herd, I wouldn't be inclined to use one.
But if you must, and If you have any concern (and you should) about transmission of blood-borne diseases like anaplasmosis and bovine leukosis virus, you'd be well-served to consider switching needles between each and every animal - and no 'in-and-out' of vaccine bottles with a needle that's been in an animal.
Yeah, it's a royal pain in the butt to have to do it, but disposable needles are pretty cheap, compared to losing one or several cows to anaplasmosis or BLV-induced lymphosarcoma, etc.

The bottle mount eliminates going back in the bottle. You can change needles as much as you want to. Im not concerned with dropping because it has a guard around the bottle that protects it. I dont cross vaccines while im using them i have 2 that i use and when im done i clean them with novalsan let them dry then there ready for next time. I hope this explains it G S

Thanks, bse.
Never looked into one - and with only 70 brood cows, I'll probably just keep on with disposable syringes and needles.
But, I'll continue to make the case for changing needles between animals, based on what I did to my own herd - I'm certain that I was largely responsible for spreading BLV infection throughout(had a 90% infection rate when I tested the mature cow herd 4 or 5 years ago), by using the same needle 'til it got too dull to shove through the hide, going from cow to cow. And I KNEW better.
Studies have shown that Anaplasma can be very readily transmitted from one infected cow to the next 3 or 4 in line behind her, if you use the same needle over and over.

Sometimes you just need to do the right thing, even if it's a little more trouble.

Did you find yourself a gun? If not send me a direct message, I think I can help you out.

tncattle":ohkiscrc said:
What vaccination gun would you use for 200 mama cows? In other words, is it worth using one for that many mama cows? I'm sure there is more than one good one but I want to narrow it down.

Allflex, and yes it is worth it! Just remember to use a fresh needle for each cow.

all flex 50 cc repeater...worth the buck, a bunch of needles, get the decent ones from the vet. If you farm supply shop is like ours, the cheaper ones are less detectable in the slaughter house if one gets broken. Have yet to break a needle in a cow or calf but from what i hear it happens. The better needles are detectable by the scanners
as stated always use a fresh needle in bottles.
We always change needles with every 10 cows. Plan to change out every cow now, or atleast talk to our vet about this.
Thanks for the info