VACCINATING

Help Support CattleToday:

B WEIR

Reaction score
I am planning on selling all my calves this year at a stocker sale,they say they will bring more money if they are vaccinated. I usually keep my calves and finish to sell for freezer beef so i never bothered to vaccinate the calves before now.My question is when should i do the calves and what to use .Also i don't vaccinate the cows so would this require something different.Have read that when using a live vaccine the calves cannot be around bred cows,but have talked to a few guys who vaccinate all there cows and calves and don't bother to separate them at all.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't Vaccinate? "Pennywise, Pound Foolish"

Use killed vaccine. We would never use a live vaccine.

We vaccinate all calves at 3-4 months and then a booster at weaning (6-7 months). All adults annually in spring. De-worm twice a year, spring and fall.

Result: Never had a sick animal and they all grow well and healthy.

From the label of a live, 5-way Lepto vaccine:

BoviShield Gold FP 5+VL5

Pfizer - For vaccination of healthy cows and heifers prior to breeeding as an aid in the prevention of diseases caused by IBR, BVD 1 & 2, PI3, BRSV, Vibrio & the 5 most common strains of Lepto. may be administered to pregnant cows, provided they are vaccinated within the last 12 months according to label directions. May also be administered to calves nursing pregnant cows provided their dams were vaccinated per label directions. Dosage: 2ml IM to breeding cows and heifers one month prior to breeding or being added to the herd. Follow with a dose of VibrioLepto5 and Bovishield BRSV 3-4 wks later. Revaccinate annually. 21 day slaughter withdrawal.

Do not use in pregnant cows (abortions can result) unless they were vaccinated, according to label directions, with Bovi-Shield FP 4+L5, Bovi-Shield FP 4+VL5, Bovi-Shield GOLD FP 5 L5 or Bovi-Shield GOLD FP 5 VL5 within the past 12 months.

from: http://www.bovi-shieldgold.com/product_ ... species=DA

If the cows are bred and not vaccinated you don't vaccinate the cows or calves with this stuff. If the cows are not-bred/bred and vaccinated you can vaccinate them and the calves with it.

I had a cow last month that was bred but not vaccinated for 5-way...wanted her vaccinated...I used a killed vaccine. Virashield 5. That's safe for anything.

B WEIR":2r8kmzf9 said:
I am planning on selling all my calves this year at a stocker sale,they say they will bring more money if they are vaccinated. I usually keep my calves and finish to sell for freezer beef so i never bothered to vaccinate the calves before now.My question is when should i do the calves and what to use .Also i don't vaccinate the cows so would this require something different.Have read that when using a live vaccine the calves cannot be around bred cows,but have talked to a few guys who vaccinate all there cows and calves and don't bother to separate them at all.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check with the place that is putting on the sale. Frequently, in the states anyway, there are special programs for vaccinated and weaned calves. If they have a dela like that the required protocal will be available for information purposes

dun

I would first do as Dun has said and check with the pre-vac sale where you plan to market the cattle because they may require specific vaccines.

That being said, all of our adult cattle (cows and bulls) have been vaccinated and boostered within 3-4 weeks of the initial dose with the following killed vaccines:

ViraShield 5 + VL5 - 5ml injected SQ in the neck
Electroid 7 (blackleg) - 5ml injected SQ in the neck

They receive an annual booster of each in the spring.

As far as calves go, we vaccinate those at weaning time (usually around 6 mos old) with the same vaccines mentioned above. I also give the bull calves we band 2ml of tetanus toxiod. After 3-4 weeks, all these calves are given a booster, and then they are put on the regular vaccination schedule with the rest of the herd.

Any new animals we bring into the herd are put in a pen, vaccinated, and then boostered 3-4 weeks later.

Thanks for the info guys ,sounds like alot of needling some of you guys do,maybe i should get of my wallet and vaccinate the cows and calves.

Latest posts