Vaccinating calves for Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

MTNCREEKFARMS

Reaction score
How young is too young for calves to receive a wart vaccine?

Is this something more and more producers are doing as precaution or only if warts are noted on animals?

I never worry much about warts, unless it's something that is going to be sold soon and there are several warts on them. In the past I have given the wart vaccine, when I ran registered cattle. Now if I do anything just cut or pull one off, and they clear up after a little while.

I'm only concerned if I'm going to be selling soon and some have warts, then I'll use the vaccine to try to clear them up sooner. Otherwise they clear up on their own after a while.

J+ Cattle

It's not uncommon for some of my retained heifers to get a few warts, but they've never been the huge cauliflower warts and I don't have a registered herd (or show cattle).

I tried the wart vaccine once on a first calf heifer that still had a few, and mainly as an experiment. They did clear up. But my tried & true method is this: ignore them, save your money, and they'll go away in a few months.

I've never had much warts until this year when I bought a new lot of heifers. It seems to have worked through them all though and good thing - I ordered the vaccine 4 months ago and it still has not come in.

Wart vaccines are "generic" - meaning they are not formulated to work on each individual farms warts. To me - waste of money and time.
I show cattle and sell breeding stock. Warts are an issue to me - but mostly I ignore them. If I'm getting cattle ready for a show or selling, I simply cut them off. By making them BLEED, they will build their own immunities. If you decide to cut them, pull them away from the body - use scissors or scalpel - be sure to cut at the skin getting ALL the edges of the wart. Put some blue Kote on for flies. Good to go.

Latest posts