Vaccinating and Worming at the same time

Help Support CattleToday:

bcox

Reaction score
Hello,

When I purchase cattle at the stock yard, I like to give a shot of LA-200 or other antibiotic to prevent my cattle from getting sick.

While I have them in the pen I would also like to worm them.

I have been told not to use an antibiotic with wormer.

Is this true?

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks

bcox

bcox":3kwfk6gp said:
Hello,

When I purchase cattle at the stock yard, I like to give a shot of LA-200 or other antibiotic to prevent my cattle from getting sick.

While I have them in the pen I would also like to worm them.

I have been told not to use an antibiotic with wormer.

Is this true?

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks

bcox
well when i buy cattle like this i well give them the antibiotics when they come in no wormer i want to make sure their clean. and quarantine them for a few weeks then i get them back up and work them. then turn them out with the herd. worming will stress them some and they dont need that if they are sick.

I also hit em with la-200 while there getting off the trailer. I put them in a well vented barn for 3 days and watch for other sickness. If not any sickness I turn them into a small lot for 2 weeks then work and worm them unless its in the dead of winter then I wait till spring. I then return them to the small lot to watch for another 2 weeks before turning in with the herd.

Are these calves or cows. I would not use LA 200 for a indiscriminate antibiotic. Consult a vet.

Scotty":296ni5mn said:
Are these calves or cows. I would not use LA 200 for a indiscriminate antibiotic. Consult a vet.

That is per vet, also per vet they may get more than the label says at times. Actually it ain't la-200 its maxium (sp) 200. Same thing but with a differant carrier.

Keep in mind that parasites have been shown to compromise the immune system. There is no cookbook recipe for success. You need to consider the location, time of year, etc. If there is severe parasitism, deworming may be an important step to straighten them out.

Let me get this straight. Your talking about giving antibiotics not vaccinating, right?
We vaccinate and worm at hte same time. Anitbiotics is not a vaccination, it's a treatment.

dun

I worm EVERYTHING that comes onto this place...period! Where as most illnesses can be seen and treated, most parasites cannot, with some exceptions such as lice, now the big question is, would you allow a parasitic animal to come in and comprimize all of your previous hard work of worming the exisiting herd? Course not.

My vote is for worming and VACINATIONS on arrival. Here is the reasons why..............

Worm to prevent infestation of parasites into existing herd.

Vacinate of course to prevent disease ( event though most vacines offer little immunity prior to 15 days after vacination, with exception of nasal, and live modified to some extent). Thus not only protecting the new animal but of course your existing herd.

IF you chose to treat the new animal as if it were sick, instead of vacinating upon arrival, you delay the window of vacination, sometimes by weeks, and offer this animal no immunity for the various bugs out there.

Remember, that unless is a very well handled animal, you stress it every time you work it, so, I would do it all at one time, less stress for both of you in the end I think.

Now of course, if the animal displays illness then of course it's a different story.

Kind of a catch -22 situation that. :cboy:

Animals coming from a sale barn gets a shot of LA 200. Sale Barns are collecting place for sickness and disease. If the animals comes off a good ranch, private treaty the animals don't get a shot.

All animals are wormed and vacinated before being unloaded at my place.

LonghornRanch":3pj3ijfd said:
Animals coming from a sale barn gets a shot of LA 200. Sale Barns are collecting place for sickness and disease. If the animals comes off a good ranch, private treaty the animals don't get a shot.

All animals are wormed and vacinated before being unloaded at my place.

Same here. ;-)

And I wonder why antibiotics loose their effectiveness shortly after they get into the mainstream.

Its absolutely no wonder that LA200 is only useful for footrot and pinkeye anymore.

A single dose of LA200 is NOT a complete treatment.
So you give a partitial treatment to animals showing no signs
They do have a few of the bugs in their body(that probably would have been fought back by the animal) So you expose them to LA200-- they get hit but not killed-- now they are spreading around-- resistant to LA200.

Thanks for all the replies!

I will be buying heifer calves in a couple of weeks and put them in pasture with no other cattle. Before I leave the stockyard, I will give them a shot of LA-200. I just was wanting to know if most of you out there go ahead and worm,or wait and do it later. I will propably wait for about a month and then worm.

Thanks again for all the replies.

bcox

I receive 30 or 40 head (200 lbs.) of calves at least twice a month year round. I will work them the very next morning with 8-Way blackleg, pinkeye, MLV 4-way, ivomec plus, multi-min and a shot of Micotil. I figure if you stress them one time its better than having to pen them multiple time.

I agree with medic, It hit with it all head on. I'm not one who just enjoys working cows anyway so I figure its best for both sides.

Latest posts