Vaccinate again?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Caught & moved the bulls yesterday and decided to give them their vaccinations now instead of May (for convenience sake - they were already in the corral). Filled disposable syringes at the house, threw them in a small cooler with an ice pack and 2 hours later while I was giving the shots I discovered one of the syringes with Vira Shield 6+VL5 HB was frozen. First time that ever happened. I had just enough for the bulls and didn't have the option of going back to the house for another dose so thawed it out by shaking, rubbing between my hands, setting it in the sun for a while, administered the shot. Dug the empty bottle out of the trash when I got back and it clearly says DO NOT FREEZE. Oops.

So has it been rendered completely ineffective, frozen for a couple hours? And should I vaccinate him again?

TCRanch":2srxugda said:
Caught & moved the bulls yesterday and decided to give them their vaccinations now instead of May (for convenience sake - they were already in the corral). Filled disposable syringes at the house, threw them in a small cooler with an ice pack and 2 hours later while I was giving the shots I discovered one of the syringes with Vira Shield 6+VL5 HB was frozen. First time that ever happened. I had just enough for the bulls and didn't have the option of going back to the house for another dose so thawed it out by shaking, rubbing between my hands, setting it in the sun for a while, administered the shot. Dug the empty bottle out of the trash when I got back and it clearly says DO NOT FREEZE. Oops.

So has it been rendered completely ineffective, frozen for a couple hours? And should I vaccinate him again?

I would call the vet.

This is both a viral vaccine and a bacterin in one preparation. Freezing and thawing an aqueous bacterin/viral preparation denatures the protein. Yes. Repeat the vaccination.

Reference the Question:

So has it been rendered completely ineffective, frozen for a couple hours?

First, you no longer have the frozen killed viral/bacterin that was in the syringe and subsequently frozen and thawed.

Second, if you did, you would have to examine the proteins in the preparation via electron microscope microscopy to determine if the proteins were denatured.

Third, you would have to determine the extent of the denaturalization that occurred to estimate the effect on the immune response you might get.

Conclusion: That specific question cannot be appropriately answered.

Thanks. Still waiting on a call back from the vet (farm calls all day) but I'll give him another shot in May when we work all the others. In related news, this is the neck I have to puncture again :bang:

Latest posts