UTV Questions & Reviews

Help Support CattleToday:

JParrott

Reaction score
A few questions for those with UTV's:

1) Is there anything in particular that a Ranger XP 800 or 900 or a Mule 4010 can't do as well as an RVT 900 or a JD 825i?

2) Can they pull a trailer with 800 lbs on it decent through tall grass, 4-6" of snow, or some muddy low places?

3) If anyone has owned a carbureted version and an EFI both, is the EFI good enough to dismiss an okay deal on a carbureted model?

4) Are the RVT's or 825i's worth the extra money for non commercial use?

5) How's the speed and response/feel of each or of the ones you own/have owned?

I can't give you a comparison per se, but I have a Polaris Diesel and its tow rating is 2,000 lbs. It does not have the speed or response of the gas engines, but mine is very durable and dependable.

With that said, I have heard good things about the Kubota sidekick but have not really compared them.

We have a small 4x8 trailer with a Lincoln welder, torch bottles, tools etc. on it, probably 1500 lbs total. Have pulled it many times with a Ranger 700. It will get stuck in mud or on steep terrain. Ranger just doesn't have enough weight.

I have driven an 825i and it was a sweet machine. Much better than our Ranger, but also newer.

I have owned three Polaris, one Yamaha, and two Kawasaki's. The Kawasaki FXT-pro is the best farm UTV I've owned by far. Bench seat, fold up back seat into a bigger bed, power steering, great ride, plenty of power, and reliable. Not cheap, but well worth the money, IMO. I will not buy another Polaris. Too many repairs under my management. Would consider another Yamaha rhino if I didn't like the FXT so much.

We have just recently got a Polaris XP 1000, no idea how well or long it will hold up. As of tonight, I am very pleased with it. Just before dark we were checking on cows, and where it has been dry one of our new cows had got stuck in the mud. I took the utv down the pond bank, and backed as close as I could to the cow, we were able to pull her out miraculously she wasn't hurt in the process and got up.
The Polaris 1000 is rated to have a bed capacity of 1000lbs, and towing capacity of 2500lbs.
We looked at several different makes and models, they may not be as heavy made as a Kubota, but the Polaris and Can Ams, in our opinions drive and ride more comfortably and have more leg room. We liked the bigger Kawasaki mule too, but it there wasn't as much room in the cab.

I can't really answer your questions because I don't have experience with all those since we have owned just one but if I was looking at different ones I would definitely consider checking out the Honda pioneer. I have a 19' pioneer 1000 and that thing can work and I'm not really worried about reliability with it.

Your Rangers, JD 825i, Can Am, Mule Pro, and Kubota Sidekick, Honda Pioneer are all kind of comparable vehicles.

The Mule 4010, Kubota rtv, and some of the JD are all comparables vehicles.

Talking about the mud, snow, etc you will probably want to look at the top group with the independent suspension, little bit faster speeds, etc.

I would not even own a carb utv or one with out power steering. It's a cheap upgrade and makes all the difference.

I am not a fan of Polaris. The fit and finish and reliability is just not there compared to the other major brands, especially considering the price. I personally have a mule pro and have been very happy with it. If I didn't own a Mule Pro I would own the Can Am or Honda. The more I am around them them more I like them and the more impressed I am.

You really cant go wrong with any of the major brands it is just a matter of getting the right vehicle for your task and comparing apples to apples. If you go buy an old carb kubota rtv and try going thru a bunch of mud and snow you will probably be disappointed.

Kawasaki rules here no matter the model. As far as speed unless it's designated 25 mph or less with slow moving vehicle placards. The county likes to charge a tax if caught on a county road.

As a Polaris owner for 15yrs, both ATV and UTV, for farm/ranch work. I recently went with a 2018 CanAm. Very, very pleased. You owe them a look.

Philip-TX said:
As a Polaris owner for 15yrs, both ATV and UTV, for farm/ranch work. I recently went with a 2018 CanAm. Very, very pleased. You owe them a look.

I test drove the Can Ams about 2 years ago and really liked them. Talked my friends dad in to getting one and he was a long time Polaris owner also. We use theirs all the time and I really like it. We just got back from WTX going up those steep mountains and over the rocks and stuff and it was great. The storage is great in it, great power, and super smooth ride. I was the only one with a Mule Pro, they had the Can Am, and there were about 3 Rangers. I guarantee there will be more Can Ams next year.

The only part is those Can Ams are like 15' long lol. They fill up a 16' low boy. The Rangers are the same way. My Mule Pro is closer to like 12'. The size didnt hold it back any on the trails.

We are supposed to get another utv for the ranch this year and it will most likely be the Can Am.

I'd like to have a single bench Can Am to rig out for hunting and keep my Mule Pro for working and cattle and stuff.

I appreciate all the input from everyone.

So far, the Mule Pro-FX is getting most of my attention though I've found the Textron Prowler to be a bit interesting as well. I'll look at the Can Am. I also like the Honda - but the Mule has a better bed, a little seat behind the main one, and I've not heard of a single person complaining of the Mule Pro's not having all the power needed to do everything desired on the farm and being very well built to boot.

The bed has always been one of my big attractions to the Mule as well as the reliability. The full doors are also really handy. They keep a lot of mud, cow mess, brush, etc off your legs. Plus, you can put tools and gear on the floor boards and dont have to worry about it flying out.

It also has the cheapest price tag of all the ones listed. You can get them $14-15K brand new and they have great resale.

snoopdog said:
I am a fan of these machines, but how can you justify the cost?

I'm assuming you haven't had one and used one? I haven't. My dad couldn't understand how people could spend 20k on one of the 25hp tractors with the small attachments. Then the neighbor needed to get rid of theirs to pay bills and he bought it. It came with a backhoe attachment. He now swears up and down it's been the handiest piece of equipment he's ever had besides a welder. He probably uses the thing daily. For sure it doesn't go for more than two days without being used in one way or another.

For me, I don't need another truck. I need something that's convenient, cheap to maintain, saves me a ton of time, can be used for multiple small jobs, AND can get into places and do things that I couldn't do with a full size or compact truck. I think one of these will save me a decent amount of time given the little that I have to spare to do farming as it is. I'm sure I'm justifying it partially because of the want factor - but I've yet to hear a farmer that has one and uses it that feels like it was money wasted or has buyers remorse. Also, I'm buying used. It'll have to be a great deal on a leftover to buy new.

JParrott said:
snoopdog said:
I am a fan of these machines, but how can you justify the cost?

I'm assuming you haven't had one and used one? I haven't. My dad couldn't understand how people could spend 20k on one of the 25hp tractors with the small attachments. Then the neighbor needed to get rid of theirs to pay bills and he bought it. It came with a backhoe attachment. He now swears up and down it's been the handiest piece of equipment he's ever had besides a welder. He probably uses the thing daily. For sure it doesn't go for more than two days without being used in one way or another.

For me, I don't need another truck. I need something that's convenient, cheap to maintain, saves me a ton of time, can be used for multiple small jobs, AND can get into places and do things that I couldn't do with a full size or compact truck. I think one of these will save me a decent amount of time given the little that I have to spare to do farming as it is. I'm sure I'm justifying it partially because of the want factor - but I've yet to hear a farmer that has one and uses it that feels like it was money wasted or has buyers remorse. Also, I'm buying used. It'll have to be a great deal on a leftover to buy new.

Most used piece of equipment on the farm.

You hit the nail on the head. It will be exactly what you think it will be.

I also agree it is the most used piece of equipment. I cant function with out one. We have places that are not accessible by truck.

Plus, the entertainment value isn't bad either. I just piled my niece son sisternlaw and brother in to the Mule Pro this weekend to go for a cruise. When your 3 year old niece wants to feed to cows you feed the cows. :)

I have used one and agree they are very versatile and handy, rebuilt a stretch of fence using one that was inaccessible any other way, short of a dozer. One of them with that calfcatcher thing would be awsome, but I guess I just need other things worse and will have to use the pickup.

Latest posts