Utter chaos

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I came home from work this evening and when I went to check the cows water I saw my greatest nightmare. For the last 3 weekends I have on my agenda to move my 4-1/2 months old heifers out of the pasture with the cows and the Bull as 1. It's time to wean and 2. Because of what just happened. My helper got a blood clot in his leg so I've had it by my self for the last 4 weeks and haven't kept up with everything, but back to my dilemma. I saw one of my calves with arched back and tail sticking out. I know most probably my bull bred her. I did manage to get a guy to come over and help me separate and drive them across the road but it was not easy. We had cows scattered all over the farm road running every where. Finally got them back in the pastures and separated. Now how long do I have to wait before I can pregnancy test? Fo you think she could have bred?? I could kick my self but being limited on pasture space it was the best I could do. A lot of if's, but "if my helper hadn't got down, if the weather hadn't stormed last weekend, if I didn't have to work and "if" the wife didn't have all the little jobs lined up, I could have prevented this.? Maybe. Has anyone ever let this happen? What did you do? She can't be over 4-1/2 months. Born 6/10/19

Tomcolvin said:
I came home from work this evening and when I went to check the cows water I saw my greatest nightmare. For the last 3 weekends I have on my agenda to move my 4-1/2 months old heifers out of the pasture with the cows and the Bull as 1. It's time to wean and 2. Because of what just happened. My helper got a blood clot in his leg so I've had it by my self for the last 4 weeks and haven't kept up with everything, but back to my dilemma. I saw one of my calves with arched back and tail sticking out. I know most probably my bull bred her. I did manage to get a guy to come over and help me separate and drive them across the road but it was not easy. We had cows scattered all over the farm road running every where. Finally got them back in the pastures and separated. Now how long do I have to wait before I can pregnancy test? Fo you think she could have bred?? I could kick my self but being limited on pasture space it was the best I could do. A lot of if's, but "if my helper hadn't got down, if the weather hadn't stormed last weekend, if I didn't have to work and "if" the wife didn't have all the little jobs lined up, I could have prevented this.? Maybe. Has anyone ever let this happen? What did you do? She can't be over 4-1/2 months. Born 6/10/19

That is far too early for a pregnancy. Give her about 10 days post breeding. Then Administer 5 mL of Lutalyse. At this phase, that will knock out a pregnancy.

Tomcolvin said:
Should I test for pregnancy or just wait 10 days and give her the lute shot?

You would have to wait about 30 days for a preg check. I would lut her at 10 days and be done.

Came in this eve and she is naturally mooing for mama but she is walking around with her tail sticking straight back. Is this just a sign the bull did breed her? I fed her some hay and grain feed and she ate it.

It's hard to believe she would STILL have her tail out from getting bred. He might have damaged something inside.
But, back to what the others said - wait 10 days & give a lutalyse shot. "MOST" likely she is not bred, but this should take care of any worries.
But, if she continues to hold out her tail, you might need to consult a vet.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
It's hard to believe she would STILL have her tail out from getting bred. He might have damaged something inside.
But, back to what the others said - wait 10 days & give a lutalyse shot. "MOST" likely she is not bred, but this should take care of any worries.
But, if she continues to hold out her tail, you might need to consult a vet.

I agree. If she keeps holding the tail out, you need to have her checked.

I lute all heifers at weaning if I plan on retaining them. Had to shoot a prolapsed 14 month 3 years ago. Ever since it's cheap ins

I agree, just get a shot and give it to her. You won't see any signs of anything, like blood or anything resembling an abortion, because all it does is prevent an embryo from embedding in the uterus to grow. I would watch her too, she might hold that tail out for a few days if she was bruised by the bull. Give it at least 10 days, my vet says 2 weeks is better... splitting hairs for 4 days.

Had a heifer that I had no idea was bred start to udder up, and calved at less than 16 months. She will be stunted I am sure, but has raised the calf. She will get a second shot since she is out of a very fertile family (which is what caused the problem in the first place). The calf was small, is still small, but growing, and she has done okay considering. Have lost one or two over the years too.

I may have to try and find a vet. When I came in to feed this evening she was laying down, about 4:30pm. I made her get up and I took some pictures of her and her tail. I know I won't be able to get a vet until Monday if then. No vets want to make house calls and most around her don't do large animals at all. This happen Monday or Tuesday of this week. I'll have to look at my notes to be sure. I wonder if it broke her tail? She moves it around and switched it back and to sometimes.

Tom, I'd definitely get a vet out there or take her in. She should not be holding her tail like that 4 days later. Is she eating/drinking okay? Any signs of pain (grinding her teeth, laying down most of the time, etc)? Can you keep her contained over the weekend? I once lost a beautiful heifer that matured early and the bull damaged her so much she eventually went into renal failure.

Best case scenario she's just still sore and a shot of Lutalyse will abort any pregnancy but you won't know unless she's seen by a vet.

Tomcolvin said:
I may have to try and find a vet. When I came in to feed this evening she was laying down, about 4:30pm. I made her get up and I took some pictures of her and her tail. I know I won't be able to get a vet until Monday if then. No vets want to make house calls and most around her don't do large animals at all. This happen Monday or Tuesday of this week. I'll have to look at my notes to be sure. I wonder if it broke her tail? She moves it around and switched it back and to sometimes.

That indicates a problem in the reproductive tract. Kinda like a cow holds her tail out when they are due to calve and the feet enter the cervix. As TCRanch said, get a vet to check her. She might have some tissue damage. I hope this works out for you.

Thanks, I called and left messages to two different vets around 7:00pm. As of 9:10 pm neither has bothered to call back. One is about 80 miles from me the other is about 40 miles. I called a third vet but his home phone has been disconnected and I don't have his cell phone. I also called his office about 7:40 pm and left message. Actually that's 3 vets I tried to contact.

You need to call a NEW vet during the day. You do not have an emergency and you are NOT their client.
I will chastise anyone having livestock and not establishing a relationship with a vet. I realize some areas don't have a good coverage of vets, but if you are not an established client, why would a vet take time away from his regular clients - or take the time to answer your call during "off" hours?
Having a vet out for a non-emergency appointment is money well spent.

Still trying for a vet but look at photo taken this morning. Looks like a 85% change to me. For the better. Pics attached.

Tomcolvin said:
Still trying for a vet but look at photo taken this morning. Looks like a 85% change to me. For the better. Pics attached.

That is an improvement. When a female bovine has a problem in the rectovaginal area, they often express it by the way they hold or keep moving their tail. If you see a cow holding her tail out or moving it abnormally, it is a sign of discomfort in that area.

She does look better. You will definitely still need a vet for Lutalyse (unless you already have some) and I would encourage establishing a relationship with preferably the one closest to you. Do you have a friend, neighbor or mentor that is well versed in cattle? Having someone else that can come out to help is priceless.