Utilizing free grass

Help Support CattleToday:

HandB

Reaction score
My cousin the other day told me that he has 50 acres of irrigated permanant pasture I could have for free. (cuz we're family and all) Nothing has been on it for about 6 months and its got grass up to my knees almost. My cattle wont be out of the hills till June to go over there. My question is would it make sense to go make hay right now for $40/ton and then get the water back on it so as to be ready for June? Also, would running hot wires to section off pieces for rotational grazing be a good idea? I'm just trying to figure out how I can make this free piece as profitable as possible. Over here we run 1 pr. for every 1-1.5 ac. if its irrigated. My cows are due to calf starting in August. Any game plans would be appreciated

Haying if you can get enough yield to pay for the fuel would probably work. Definitly strip grazing or breaking it into smaller grazing cells will help to better utilize the grass.

dun

I was giving it some more thought and a lot could also depend on what part of CA you're in. In the San Jouquin or Central Valley growing conditions are a lot different then the eastern Sierra or even towards the mex border. It even seemed like the grass growth patterns were different from the Oakdale area to just north of there. But that may be attribituded as much to forage type as climate. When do they typically start haying in that area and how many cuttings a year?

dun

Dun, you sound like you'r from these parts. I'm actually from Oakdale. The grass I speak of is in Firebaugh which is a little south of Merced, NW of Fresno. 1st cutting hay is coming off now and 7 cuttings is about the norm. I wasn't gunna wait till June to cut, if I cut it would be asap. Baling and so forth would be done thru a custom guy and they charge $30/ton to do alfalfa hay, so I figure $40 for pasture including rake and all is pretty close. I just figure it beats spending $140-160 in the winter for hay.

We spent some years just outside of Oakdale on River Rd. We never hayed, the cows kept it down enough plus it was all just flood irrigated native grass, with lots of star thistle. I'ld cut it and bale it now, then turn the cows out in June and strip graze it. If the grass gets too far ahead, hay off the stuff that's ahead of you.

dun

free, the best word in the english language.
the second best word is whatever follows free

plbcattle":2cnf4c9h said:
free, the best word in the english language.
the second best word is whatever follows free

According to the dictionary I got ahold of the word that follows "free" is FREEDOM. So I'd say your assesment is correct.

Latest posts