utilization of various by-products

Help Support CattleToday:

german agri broker

Reaction score
Hi,

I work as a purchaser in SEA. In the past I dealt as a broker with animal feeds, but my expertise in this field is very limited.
Since I live in an agricultural hub, I always wondered why there's no concept to utilize the various by-products and rejects, but I didn't investigate it any further. Some weeks ago I talked to a local politician and he basically confirmed this.
So far I know about the following products:

- green banana rejects
- pineapple pulp
- coconut pulp
- palm pulp
- sugar cane pulp

Right now there's work going on to estimate the volumes. So far it's confirmed that there are green banana rejects of several thousand tons per month.

Banana rejects can be used as animal feed and it's seems to be easy to ensile them.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/x6512e/x6512e10.htm

http://www.feedipedia.org/node/683

Since there are no confirmed numbers I haven't investigated the other products yet. All these products are available for free. The local authorities would support if someone came up with a utilization concept, even financially.

I don't have the right background to evaluate the quality of these products and their market potential as animal feed. Therefore, I would highly appreciate every input.

Also, in other threads I saw people recommending Steve Bledzinger as a consultant. Unfortunately, I can't find his contact details.

Thanks!

Copyright 2014 – Dr. Stephen B. Blezinger. Dr. Steve Blezinger is a management and nutritional consultant with an office in Sulphur Springs, TX. He can be reached at [email protected] or at (903) 352-3475. For more information please visit us on at www.facebook at Reveille Livestock Concepts.

Right now the livestock industry is already utilizing hundreds of by-products but none of these look familiar. You might contact some of the larger commodity marketing firms and let them do a bit of research to see if any of these products are feasible for use, what their nutrient densities are and how they would fit into feeds from a pricing standpoint. Without a some testing behind them they are worthless.

When I think about how they struggle to feed cattle in other countries and even in areas outside the Midwest and Great Plains in the U.S., I thank God my ancestors left the Sudetenland for Missouri in the 1860s. Here, there are no Prussians looking to confiscate our food and fodder. Abundance is the normal state of things.

NWMoAngus":12dz0dvw said:
When I think about how they struggle to feed cattle in other countries and even in areas outside the Midwest and Great Plains in the U.S., I thank God my ancestors left the Sudetenland for Missouri in the 1860s. Here, there are no Prussians looking to confiscate our food and fodder. Abundance is the normal state of things.
Come down here. They're everywhere !!! Just no longer looking to confiscate anything. Good citizens.

Latest posts