Utility vehicle

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
We are looking for something to use on our farm for a chore vehicle. The UTV's are quite pricey. We have looked at ATV's and golf carts also. We will be using it mostly for carrying rotational fence supplies, checking on cattle, spraying perimeter fence lines and chores like that. What do you use on your farm(s)?

We use Kawasaki Mules. A neighbor has one of thos emini-jp trucks w/fwd, and air. The biggest drawback is the tiny little tires. They don;t sell for mush less used then Mule does new

I have a John Deere gator tx, it has a kawasaki engine with 1,400 hours, and I haven't even changed the belt yet. In my opinion its way better than a golf cart for about the same money.

My parents and my husband and I (same farm) both have Mules. They have the 4010 which has a back seat that folds up to extend the bed. We have the 610 XC, which is smaller, but has a heavier suspension and turns lots shorter. If we're riding more than two people, theirs is great. If I'm really in the nooks and crannies (like when we're looking for calves and such) mine is much easier to get in and out of rough spots. We've used both to haul a few fence posts and wire, spot-spray or spray fences, and drag pasture, plus tons of other things. Very happy with them.

I've got a Yamaha 4wheeler, 660 I believe. Don't really see the need for a farm atv being over 450 cc's but our old one crapped out right in the middle of calving season one year and the 660 is the only one I could find in my price range (used) at that time.

If you're more inclined to the utv route, look in the local trader paper and find a 4wd half ton for under a grand. Use your imagination.

I've got a 500 Sportsman and a 4x6 trailer that I can pull behind it or load the ATV on and pull with my pickup. That way when I go somewhere, I can either have the ATV alone or hook hte trailer up and haul stuff. In the winter or when I wean calves I can put up to 24 buckets on the trailer and haul feed. Gave $199 for the trailer at TSC several years ago.
My service trucks are two wheel drive, so I can hook up the trailer to the truck, haul to jobsite and unload ATV hook up the trailer and haul everything from bathtubs to cattle waterer setting equipment. I personally like the ATV better than I did the mule, just for getting around, chasing cows, dragging thuough the mud, etc. But the mules have their place also. gs

Mules are pretty versatile:
mule-hay.jpg

mule-rake.jpg

I have a 450 02 forman I use most the time.But in cold weather or for heavier work I have an old 88 dodge dakota with 4wd.A short cab and short bed.Raised it 3in and installed larger tires.It works great in rough terran and mud,and has a heater. :lol:

Cal

We use a Yamaha 350 2wd that is 15 years old. Getting tired of throwing my leg over the seat and wish it was 4wd to go thru the sloppy mud. I have looked at upgrading to a 4wd ATV or get a mule/ranger. Evry time I look I get sticker shock so we have not done anything yet although the old ATV is getting to the point it needs a lot.

cfpinz":3pfxm35u said:
e.
If you're more inclined to the utv route, look in the local trader paper and find a 4wd half ton for under a grand. Use your imagination.

The poor folk here use this approach and often call them fencing trucks. The heavy haulers put a rack over the box. The sporty guys take the doors off. If you took off both the doors and cut away part of the cab would it then become a utv? :)

dun":19pz3dy2 said:
We use Kawasaki Mules. A neighbor has one of thos emini-jp trucks w/fwd, and air. The biggest drawback is the tiny little tires. They don;t sell for mush less used then Mule does new
you can pick up the mini trucks for less than half of what a mule or other UTV cost as for the tires most put on larger ATV or UTV tires and wheels and they do great
plus they have heat a/c and a cab for when it is raining and alot of them have a dum bed also

a neighbor has started buying the GEO Trackers he even had a box built on the back of one and him and his wife love them said they were wearing a polaris ranger out every 2 yrs and these are a 3rd of the cost of a UTV plus heat and A/C and can be driven on the road alot easier and more comfortably than a UTV