Uterine Prolapse Update (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan

Reaction score
I've got one now that had a bad uterine prolapse with her second calf last year. The working conditions were about as bad as you could imagine. Laying in waist deep weeds and mud in a creek bottom. She probably ended up with an extra 50 pounds of junk back in her.

A couple of stitches just to be sure it stayed in and LA200 for three days to stop any potential infection. That and a handful of cubes every day for about a week just to gentle her back down was the extent of her treatment.

I was only going to keep her long enough to wean her calf. I couldn't believe it when the little cow came back in heat. Even more unbelievable when she didn't come back in heat a few weeks later.

She finally got over being mad and now she'll come to me any time I call her. She hasn't calved yet, but there's a lot of satisfaction in seeing that little cow bagged up and springing.

100_0289.jpg

100_0299.jpg

I really think the hugs and ooey-gooey baby talk is what helped her more than anything. :heart:

Fantastic!! She certainly doesn't look all the worse for wear. Looks like she's got plenty of groceries for baby.

BTW, cute calf. ;-)

Katherine

Thanks, Katherine. That's one of those big monster Charolais calves that all the experts warn people about. I estimated her at about 50 pounds. But that was when I hugged her while she was still wet....

Texan":2bv56v06 said:
Thanks, Katherine. That's one of those big monster Charolais calves that all the experts warn people about. I estimated her at about 50 pounds. But that was when I hugged her while she was still wet....

:shock: 50 lbs! Now that is a big one! ;-)

Katherine

Texan":3p73sn4s said:

Twenty five pounds of head?

she mustve spit out a doozy of a calf last year huh? looks like everything came out ok.

Okay, you guys talked me into it. I'm just gonna have to give her another BIG HUG in the morning. Just to see how much she weighs, of course. :heart:

Is that horse nettles in that trap? I hate that stuff.

What is the petability EPD on that calf, Texan?

Prolapse cow looks to be earning another year in pallet head heaven east texas. :D

Yeah, it's dove weed. We've got it in some pastures so thick it's hard to even walk through and chest high. I usually spray for it w/ Grazon and 2-4D, it's easy to kill. Just ran out of $$$ this year in the spraying budget.

Great calf Texan, are you planning on keeping the cow?

Texan: That's one of those big monster Charolais calves that all the experts warn people about. I estimated her at about 50 pounds. But that was when I hugged her while she was still wet....

Speaking of experts. I had some Char bulls in a consignment sale a few years back. While hanging around the pen answering questions and generally BS'ing with potential customers, two guys walk up and start talking amongst themselves about Chars having such big calves and killing cows.................

I had heard enough and approached the guys and started small talk, asking them where they were from and what they were looking for.

Turns out neither one had ever owned cattle and had made a food delivery to the kitchen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of some of our "Resident Experts" ! :roll:

sidney411":1xdz44ee said:
Yeah, it's dove weed. We've got it in some pastures so thick it's hard to even walk through and chest high. I usually spray for it w/ Grazon and 2-4D, it's easy to kill. Just ran out of $$$ this year in the spraying budget.

Great calf Texan, are you planning on keeping the cow?
You and dun are right on the weeds, Sid. Wooly croton, it is. We call them goatweeds around here, but I've heard people call them dove weed. You're also right about the easy kill. I don't even waste Grazon on them. About a pint per acre of 2,4-D will give a good kill on them. I'm just like you on the budget, though. I've already used over 50 gallons of 2,4-D this year.

Yes, I plan on keeping the little cow if I can get her moved up a month or so and bred back. She calved right at the tail end of my calving season last year and went to a 13 month calving interval this time because of the prolapse. She never would have gotten bred back last year if it hadn't been so dry that I didn't have any water in my bull pasture. I had to leave bulls about almost 6 months last year.

certherfbeef":79c3mbdh said:
:lol: I'm afraid it's not as good as I was hoping, Cert. I went to wrap my arms around her this morning :heart: and she ran from me. :( I'm not sure if it's because of the way I was talking that mushy-gushy baby talk to her, or what. I'm kinda wondering if maybe some of these cattle just don't realize that humans hugging them is perfectly normal and natural behavior? It's almost like this calf knows that something just ain't quite right about that crap.

Texan":o4e3rpbb said:
certherfbeef":o4e3rpbb said:
:lol: I'm afraid it's not as good as I was hoping, Cert. I went to wrap my arms around her this morning :heart: and she ran from me. :( I'm not sure if it's because of the way I was talking that mushy-gushy baby talk to her, or what. I'm kinda wondering if maybe some of these cattle just don't realize that humans hugging them is perfectly normal and natural behavior? It's almost like this calf knows that something just ain't quite right about that crap.

Maybe you need some sign waving friends. She might come around.

Beefy":1e6kqbho said:
she mustve spit out a doozy of a calf last year huh?
That's correct, Beefy. Her calf last year was well over 100 pounds. I never hooked to him, but grabbed him by his front feet to help her just a little bit. I actually had three calves last year that were a little larger than I wanted, even though I never hooked up a puller to any of them. Another one was out of a different smokey cow, and one from a SimX heifer. That's right everybody--a heifer. I'm sure I'll go straight to the devil for it, but I cleaned up some heifers with a Char bull. :lol:

I was worried that I might have a bull getting those large calves, so I did a DNA test on all three of the large calves. All three from different sires, though. And I haven't had any big ones this year, so I guess I just have to chalk it up to late calves and the luck of the nick.

I'm thinking seriously about DNA testing some of these 50 pound calves I'm getting so many of, too. If I have a bull consistently getting 50 pound calves, I don't want him. There's no use in leaving that much money on the table.

Latest posts