Uterine Prolapse Update (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":2xbnljuo said:
Texan: That's one of those big monster Charolais calves that all the experts warn people about. I estimated her at about 50 pounds. But that was when I hugged her while she was still wet....

Speaking of experts. I had some Char bulls in a consignment sale a few years back. While hanging around the pen answering questions and generally BS'ing with potential customers, two guys walk up and start talking amongst themselves about Chars having such big calves and killing cows.................

I had heard enough and approached the guys and started small talk, asking them where they were from and what they were looking for.

Turns out neither one had ever owned cattle and had made a food delivery to the kitchen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of some of our "Resident Experts" ! :roll:

So you set them straight and let them know it was really CAB that killed cows, right! :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldnt resist. :lol: :lol:

That was a good story though.

I'd sell her as soon as you can wean her calf...

My dad had a herford do the prolapse thing having last years calf. He kept her. She got bread no problem at all. She did the same thing this year.

Dad would go out to her and stuff her back in twice a day for like two weeks before she had her calf. He had the vet come out and look at her. The vet put a stich in her backend to keep her from falling out, but told us we would have to "untie" the stitch before she could calve.

Naturally, we got up one morning crack of dawn and she was down in the pen struggling with giving birth. As soon as we untied the stich, the calve popped right out. The cow was partially paralysed for the rest of the day althought she did recover.

Bottom line, if you think the prolapse issue was bad this year, my experience would say that it will be even worse and more of a hassle next year. Don't be surprised by her breeding back, that is not where she'll have her problems.

Personally, no way would I keep her...

OklaBrangusBreeder":dvvr2viq said:

My dad had a herford do the prolapse thing having last years calf. He kept her. She got bread no problem at all. She did the same thing this year.

Dad would go out to her and stuff her back in twice a day for like two weeks before she had her calf. He had the vet come out and look at her. The vet put a stich in her backend to keep her from falling out, but told us we would have to "untie" the stitch before she could calve.

Naturally, we got up one morning crack of dawn and she was down in the pen struggling with giving birth. As soon as we untied the stich, the calve popped right out. The cow was partially paralysed for the rest of the day althought she did recover.

Bottom line, if you think the prolapse issue was bad this year, my experience would say that it will be even worse and more of a hassle next year. Don't be surprised by her breeding back, that is not where she'll have her problems.

The subject is uterine prolapses. Not vaginal prolapses. This cow prolapsed last year and has already calved this year without any problems. I always sell the vaginal prolapses, too. As soon as I can get them bred back and all of the scar tissue from the stitches goes down where the vet at the salebarn won't see it. That way guys like Caustic can try their luck. :lol:

Texan":1p15vgt1 said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":1p15vgt1 said:

The subject is uterine prolapses. Not vaginal prolapses. This cow prolapsed last year and has already calved this year without any problems. I always sell the vaginal prolapses, too. As soon as I can get them bred back and all of the scar tissue from the stitches goes down where the vet at the salebarn won't see it. That way guys like Caustic can try their luck. :lol:

Yeah, and where people like me get nailed...grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Alice

Alice that's one of those chances you take at the sale barn. There is NO reason for Texan to sell her as a market animal if she's bred and will pass by everybody's tests. He'd be losing money on her selling her for $4-500 as a killer instead of 1000-1250 as a bred.

Jake":3sjvls1i said:
Alice that's one of those chances you take at the sale barn. There is NO reason for Texan to sell her as a market animal if she's bred and will pass by everybody's tests. He'd be losing money on her selling her for $4-500 as a killer instead of 1000-1250 as a bred.

Exactly Jake, this gets back to having sale barn savvy. I see a four old bred coming through and the grass is green raises an eyebrow. Why is she at the barn attitude, calving problems,
etc. I will buy a ten old SS in a heartbeat she has proven herself in the field, more that likely someone is culling for youth.
If the old cow has held up well I will gamble on her for another three or four calves.

Jake":1bnyaw7r said:

Well, fortunately I know my limitations well enough that I don't buy grown cattle. My "grrrrrrr" came from buying baby calves that someone took the time to wash the scours off their butts and poke 7-up down their throats but didn't take the time to let them get colostrum. I lose money on them when they die plus money when I have the dead truck come pick them up. Just ticks me off when I wind up paying good money for someone elses problem.

I don't take calves like that to the sale...'cause I hate it when it happens to me. They either get well while I have them or die there at the farm. And, when I unload starter calves at the sale barn, the guy that logs them in knows who brought them in, knows they're in good shape and gives the heads up to people there looking for good starter calves.

But, live and learn, I suppose.

Alice

Latest posts