Using Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Due to my lack of infrastructure I am going to have to use some lutalyse on some cows. I am trying to move our calving back to May but had the bull with a small group of cows that calved in early March and one heifer that I wanted to wait till May on also. Here are my questions:

1. For the heifer, she could have been bred anywhere from second week of January on. Am I risking anything by using Lute on her and could I wait another 3-4 weeks to do it without any increased risk?

2. For the cows, the longest fresh is about 45 days now and I do believe the bull has bred her. Not sure about the others but let's assume they have been. My question is should I Lute them in about 3 weeks when they can be separated from the bull, or should I lute them around July 1 when I plan on ptting the bull back in with them. He would only have about 10 to breed so its not anything crazy numbers wise.

Interested to hear opinions. Thanks

While we're on this, I was wondering if giving a heifers a shot of lute about 2 weeks before breeding would make it much likely that they will naturally cycle in the first week of breeding, or would you have to do two shots a week apart?

ASF if I was gonna do it, the quicker the better. Id use Lute and Dex the heifer could be pretty far along. The cow if you did it now, just Lute may work, waiting till July will probably require Dex. With either wait 10 days after pulling the bull.
My question would be with cattle this far along why are you aborting?

Neskip I think what your talking about will work fine, the little tweaking id do is, lute 13 days prior to turning the bull in, then 10 days later hit the non responders again, turn the bull in, it will get it down to first 11 days. The little difference being you need 10 days between shots. Just Lute 3 days before will give you a big percentage.

bse,

Thanks for your thoughts. The reason I'd like to have them abort and push back is because the prospect of calving in our climate in February isnt pretty, at least not for our setup. This year, with the first calf coming in early March, I still lost 3 calves due to weather. In March, the snow was so deep that cattle wouldnt leave their little trails or hay pack. Had one calf drown, one get laid on in the haypack, and another one lost to weather related. WIth the snow this deep, I also couldnt separate the bull out to another area because I cant use my working area with snow this deep so I was stuck. Now to think about moving the calving into the dead of winter is not okay with me. I HAVE to get my season changed to late spring. I have considered letting the heifer go this year and just luting the cows because I don't want to do anything to mess up this heifer.

ASF I can sure understand what your saying about all that. If the hefier bred early it would be an Oct calf, maybe have her scanned or palpated if calving in the fall works, if she would be the only fall calver I can understand aborting her also, or working a deal for an open hefier.

If the heifer bred right away it might not be the worst to calve her in October. That would give her a little extra recovery time to get ready to breed back. Otherwise I can understand not wanting to calve them in the winter. Our first five calves this year were born at -5 and colder. We only lost one of them but it wasn't very much fun.

Lut is very effective in short bred cattle. It drops to something around 35% effective after 180 days in calf. For the heifer I'd do her now and again in 3-4 weeks to make sure and hit the cows once when you do the heifer the second time. Plan it about a month before you want them bred and then hit them again two weeks after the first shot and turn the bull out.

Nesikep":3jcswn38 said:
While we're on this, I was wondering if giving a heifers a shot of lute about 2 weeks before breeding would make it much likely that they will naturally cycle in the first week of breeding, or would you have to do two shots a week apart?
You can give just one shot to all of them right before you turn the bull out and have most of them bunched pretty close. The ones that have a CL will respond to the lut and cycle in a few days and the ones that have a follicle will cycle within a few days so the only ones you'd miss would be anything that was in heat a day or two before you put the bull in.

Nesikep":u4ajaiil said:

2 shots 11 days apart (provided that they have started cycling to begin with)

Latest posts