Using Lut to abort and rebreed back

Help Support CattleToday:

Brand

Reaction score
I have a couple of cows got bred one week ago to her sire the other was bred 40 days ago and want to knock the calves out of them.
Question will they be able to be bred back am wanting to put a embryo in one of them
I have heard sometimes it takes a cow or heifer a year to breed back after using lut to knockout a calf.
please comment only if you have had your own experience

It's 65% effective up to about 180 days and then drops to 35% effective. Do like AC said. If you do it right away it won't work as she has to be far enough along in her cycle to built the structure on her ovary that the lut works on.

I did that with a cow that I purchased. She was 3-6 weeks--years ago so don't recall, but short term pregnant.

She didn't breed AI that year or the next. The following year, after calving, she had a stuck placenta, and I took her to the vet. Someone there thought it good to pull on the placenta, so she bled to death the next day. I don't enjoy raising bummer calves.

I have always wondered if I caused problems from aborting her. Some might say "no," but it is not something I will do again for that reason--just in case.

Foxx, What you're describing sounds a lot like Selenium deficiency, and I know Branguscowgirl had problems with it... Around here I've had lots of retained placentas, but none since I started supplementing with a high selenium mineral. Breedback has also improved.

Pulling on the placenta is NOT a good idea... shame on that vet!
If you haven't had a mineral panel done on your cattle, I'd strongly recommend it.. money well spent!

Nesikep":dldn8vqj said:
Foxx, What you're describing sounds a lot like Selenium deficiency, and I know Branguscowgirl had problems with it... Around here I've had lots of retained placentas, but none since I started supplementing with a high selenium mineral. Breedback has also improved.

Pulling on the placenta is NOT a good idea... shame on that vet!
If you haven't had a mineral panel done on your cattle, I'd strongly recommend it.. money well spent!

Thanks for the info. Actually this was prior to our using a new mineral that has been doing us really good. We've had few problems with the cows since then.

I really appreciate your comment though. You are right. We are in a seriously deficit area for selenium (and copper). We have to supplement or we probably would have no growth at all. Thanks again.

Ditto here for copper.. you can add phosphorus to our list. Copper deficiency hampers the immune system, Se deficiency increases RP, you put the two together and you get subclinical uterine infections... One reason one of my best cows was not breeding back well.. I haven't noticed much difference in the growth with the supplement, but in fertility and health I have

I'm joining this conversation -- need to! We brought home a 10 mo. milking shorthorn heifer that spent 30 days in quarantine, then went out with the rest of the bunch, that includes a few 6-7 mo. bull calves. As of a couple days ago, she's now sorted back out of those to run through the chute and lute (not breeding a 650 lb. heifer to a beef bull yet). Dose for her, figuring 30-40 days exposure? And repeat it? Or what. Thank you, more-smarter-than-me folks!

Depends on the product you're using. The two I'm familiar with are Lutalyse and Estrumate; both forms of PGF2a.
Lutalyse - dose is 5 cc.
Estrumate - dose is 2 cc

KiT, if you wanted to be certain, wait at least 7(or up to 11) days after the last possible service, if you've not seen her in heat in that time, inject her, then give another dose 11 days later.

Agree with RBB, aborting 'em early should have no adverse effect... they'll cycle right back in, IF they're sexually mature, and nutritionally capable of doing so.

Angus Cowman":3djvg2r5 said:
On the one bred 40 days I would probly hit her with lut and Dex
The other wait til she is 15 days bred and hit her with lut then again in 2 weeks
And she should start cycling just fine

Sold a guy 2 registered heifers in Jan. Told him I was pretty sure they were both bred. They gave them lute only in Jan I think(I was out of commission so am not sure), one aborted last week and the other one is making bag. Should used the dex also.

Our pastor brought over several young heifers to AI for him. The neighbor's bull had jumped the fence 90 days prior, so we assumed one got bred. We gave them Lute, all but one cycled right away and stuck to AI. The one that was delayed took 3 AI attempts to stick, so I would bet she is the one that got bred and just took a bit for her uterus to heal and get rebred. So far so good. They have all passed 42 days now.

Latest posts