Using hay Alfalfa as supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

oakcreekfarms

Reaction score
I know this maybe should go somewhere else, but you seem to get the most feedback here. My question is how well does Alfalfa work as a supplement, meaning I would throw over 10lbs a cow. The brome hay that we bought this year has turned out to be really stemy, and low quality. In years past we haven't given any supplement, and the cows and heifers both did well on the brome and prairie rounds we use. This year the cows look good, the 3 year olds are struggling, and obviously the heifers are having a hard time as well. We started putting lick tubs out about a month ago, and provide cubes before the really cold days.

So back to the question, would alfalfa work in this way to put weight and condition on the cows, or does it need to be free fed to get the results. Would I be better off using a dd grain ($207) a ton, or soybean meal ($350).

Our good alfalfa runs about $100 a ton

If you can find out what the rfv is. Leafy green is what to look for, but that's not indicative of the rfv. I would free choice it with minerals. You can find some alfalfa with really good rfv's, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the seller for some references from regular buyers.

money for money id go with the alalfa hay.you can buy it 2 to 1 for grain.just check the protine level.you need 12 to 14% protine to get weight on the heifers.17% or better is dairy quality hay.10lbs a hd is all you need to feed of alalfa.thats about .50 cents a day a hd.feed would cost you .50 to $1 a hd a day.so the choice is yours.

Alfalfa works very well as a supplement as you want to use it, it is often better though to give more at a time, but give it less often unless you have a way to make sure everyone gets their bite.
Reasonable quality alfalfa can be fed with straw in the following ratio 3 straw:1alfalfa and good easy keeping cattle will gain on it.

Latest posts