using GnRH

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
when you inseminate and are planning on doing a second one in a few hours on a natural heat when do you give the injection of GnRH??
or do you give one at each insemination....example heifer goes in heat at 6 am.... you inseminate her at that time with the plan on a follow up 6+ hours later when GnRH?????

Have done the 2nd insemination before but never used the GnRH at either.

If onset of standing heat is at 6 am, I would AI at 6 pm. If she was still standing at 6 pm, I would consider giving GnRH when I bred her at 6 pm. No reason to AI twice.

whitecow":bz4n9i4k said:
If onset of standing heat is at 6 am, I would AI at 6 pm. If she was still standing at 6 pm, I would consider giving GnRH when I bred her at 6 pm. No reason to AI twice.
That's how I do it too. Year before last was the first time I started using GnRH at AI time, but only for those still standing when I AIed. Haven;t noticed a difference in conception from doing it without, but it can;t hurt.

whitecow":38xc5c65 said:

Same here. If she is on her second AI attempt, we give GnRH at the time we AI regardless. We usually get them by the second AI.

We go with the am pm rule. Our old AI tech told a once it's better to be a little late then a little early. This year we started giving a shot of GNRH at every breeding. Whether it was natural or set up heat. We were talking with our Ai tech and he said there were a few dairys in the area that have started doing this and have seen an overall increase in conception. Plus like it's been mentioned, it really doesn't hurt.