Using EPDs

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunter

Reaction score
If one is running a cow/calf operation how much should they look at the EPD figures of Marb, RE, Fat, $F, $G or even $B?
Thanks in advance.

When I was raising registered Polled Herefords I learned to use EPD's as part of my equation to obtain my goal. I wasn't raising a bunch of calves, maybe 15 to 20 a year, so I was strictly hobby. I wanted easy calving, good growth, muscle and depth with good carcass qualities and eye appeal. (I know, I wasn't looking for much). The EPD's I looked at were BW, CE, growth, MM, marbling and fat. I never paid too much attention to the $EPD's. But EPD's were maybe 1/3 of my tool box, my eye was the most important tool and I culled hard.

Are you retaining ownership?
Are you keeping any replacement heifers?
What are you trying to do?
Just curious myself, but may help those with more experience answer your question.

talltimber":2iix9243 said:
Are you retaining ownership?
Are you keeping any replacement heifers?
What are you trying to do?
Just curious myself, but may help those with more experience answer your question.

If I retain any, it will be minimal. I am looking to raise good healthy calves that I would sell mostly at the sale barn or private treaty.
I posed the question after looking at some EPDs and was mostly curious if those pertained to me.
When I was looking at bulls to buy I mostly looked at CED, WW, YW, SC, DOC, CEM, Milk, and $W.
I weighed some more than others and also took things into consideration....price being one of those.

If you are not retaining any heifers. You can strike CEM, Milk, and SC from the list as well. Would replace those 3 with RADG, DMI, and $W.

If selling the calves off their mothers then calving ease so you get live calves but not too small that they are behind the 8 ball and have to catch up and then rapid growth to weaning with a bit of frame to make them attractive to buyers.

If you want to develop good relationships with your buyers so that they are chasing your calves then those carcase and later growth EPD's are important as they are the people getting the feedback from feedlotters and processors.

Ken

If they are terminal and going to the sale barn, only 2 that would matter BW on cows something average or a little above. Of WW OR YW depends on when id sell. If selling off moma WW. In angus average is 49 I'd want to be way above that. If preconditioning YW average is 88 so id want to be way over 100.
If a niche market selling freezer beef or something then carcass can play a big part and make alot more of the EPDs important.

If you raise registered stock or use registered bulls, is consist reading it to a board member of that's breeds' association whose herd is similar to yours and see what they'd recommend.

Hunter":38p3v5v7 said:
If one is running a cow/calf operation how much should they look at the EPD figures of Marb, RE, Fat, $F, $G or even $B?
Thanks in advance.
This is a multifaceted question with a commercial cow herd there will be anomalies depending on the cross of the terminal calf. The most predictable will be on the F-1 calf the 3 way maximizes hybred vigor you have to remember it stars at conception not birth. After the 3 way cross you are getting too many crayons out of the box predictability and hybred vigor starts getting reduced.
Lots of data from major Ag universities on the epd difference between Breeds.

http://www.beefmagazine.com/cattle-gene ... -epd-table

Latest posts