Used tractor value questions

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
Is there a website that has a appraised value on used tractors and farm equipment like kelly bluebook that can be used on cars? Then only thing I found while searching was websites that want you to pay to buy a book or online access.

There's too many variables. Good tractors are worth good money even if they are 50 years old.

Most folks are looking for a small tractor with a front bucket. Therefore they are pricey.

I bought a 125 horse Massey with front bucket cheaper than I could have bought a 40 horse.

I use tractorhouse.com to get an idea of what people/dealers are asking for tractors or whatever I am interested in. It's a good place to see what stuff is bringing around the country.

Second Backhoe. I bought an International 1486 (around 140 hp) for $3500 which is only a couple of hundred more than folks around here are asking for a Ford 9N or NAA.

I knew that tractors all vary but I figured that there was something that you could go by. This is just like cars there are some that are high for what they are and then some cheap it just depends on what people want.

Earl Thigpen":7k287olw said:
Second Backhoe. I bought an International 1486 (around 140 hp) for $3500 which is only a couple of hundred more than folks around here are asking for a Ford 9N or NAA.

Dang, where'd you find a deal like that? A 1486 in good shape up here will still bring 8 or 9 thousand. If they regularly sell that cheap in your area, I can think of 2 or 3 guys that would want one. It'd pay to get them shipped up here.

Rod

I don;t know about on line but there are/is a books of used values that the dealers use, kind of like Kelly Bluebook

My County FSA office has a book that he can look up the calues in. You might try yours.

DiamondSCattleCo":3kp4lpdf said:
Earl Thigpen":3kp4lpdf said:

Dang, where'd you find a deal like that? A 1486 in good shape up here will still bring 8 or 9 thousand. If they regularly sell that cheap in your area, I can think of 2 or 3 guys that would want one. It'd pay to get them shipped up here.

Rod

Run across deals like this from time to time - or used to. I don't go to the auctions too much anymore. Got most of the equipment I need for now.

I went to an auction about four years ago and there were two tractors, one Case International and one John Deere, both in the (I'm guessing) 200 hp range that went for $10K and $12,500 respectively. Both tractors looked like they just rolled off the showroom floor, articulated, all wheel drive, cab, A/C, entertainment center , etc. These were not row croppers but huge tractors. Sure wished I had an extra $10K for that Case.

They also sold an older Steiger for $14K and the guy that bought it drove it home.

Earl Thigpen":33w61son said:
Run across deals like this from time to time - or used to. I don't go to the auctions too much anymore. Got most of the equipment I need for now.

I never get that lucky, especially since I live in a grain farming area. With the high grain prices, used equipment has been skyrocketing in price. Good buys on older equipment just haven't been happening this year, except at a couple sales I didn't bother going to because I figured prices would be through the roof :roll:. Even 2 year old stuff is selling for almost new price.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1j5wmavj said:
Earl Thigpen":1j5wmavj said:

I never get that lucky, especially since I live in a grain farming area. With the high grain prices, used equipment has been skyrocketing in price. Good buys on older equipment just haven't been happening this year, except at a couple sales I didn't bother going to because I figured prices would be through the roof :roll:. Even 2 year old stuff is selling for almost new price.

Rod

The Massey I bought came off of a farm. The owner had passed on and his young widow didn't want to work on it. She had bought a new tractor. She was asking $5K. I had it running within 30 minutes and bought it. I spent a day working on it. Got everything working but the A/C. A week later I was offered $12K for it. I kept it.

Latest posts