Used Railroad Box Cars

Help Support CattleToday:

2barmcattle

Reaction score
Where do I find used railroad box cars?????. Have an idea for a tack room/hay and feed storage/lean to if I can find one. Have seen several of the barns I am talking about in West Texas. There is a bunch of room in those things. Build the lean to off of the side of the car with the door on the side and paint the cars the same color as your metal and it really does look nice. Works great.

Thanks!!!!! :cboy:

I don;t have pictures anymore, but in Ridgecrest CA there is a house that built from box cars. 2 storys high with about 6 or so box cars put together to form each level.

Believe it or not, I saw a used box car advertised for sale on craig's list about a week ago.

Alice

dun":4mwwsxwm said:
I don;t have pictures anymore, but in Ridgecrest CA there is a house that built from box cars. 2 storys high with about 6 or so box cars put together to form each level.

I've been to Ridgecrest, CA. A cousin lived there. I guess I missed the boxcar house.
I would think a boxcar in Ridgecrest would be like an oven. Gets a little warm there.

Many folks around here use the "sea-land" containers. They are essentially ocean cargo containers and they come in all sizes. Don't buy the junk bent up ones.

The best way I know to get them economically is to buy them from construction companies in the big cities. If someone is building a high rise, they usually get a couple dozen or so of them to keep theives from stealing copper or other construction materials. Once they are done with the construction, they often try to sell them back to the original vendor. The original vendor will only pay "rail head pirce". Rail head price is what they originally bought them for wholesale. For a pristine 40 foot steel container the price is under $1500. I bought two nice ones for $1400 each and paid $100 each to have them delivered.

You can move these around with your tractor to set them up. Split them 20 feet apart and weld trusses onto them etc. The paint on them is salt water proof. They are extremely strong at the bands and much lighter than rail road cars.

A lot of folks around this part of the state are buying those used ocean cargo containers. They come in all different sizes. Was told that they are painted with marine paint and hold up well. Have seen them advertised from $1000 up to $1800 depending on size. probably would work well.

2barmcattle":1nchz3wd said:
Where do I find used railroad box cars?????. Have an idea for a tack room/hay and feed storage/lean to if I can find one. Have seen several of the barns I am talking about in West Texas. There is a bunch of room in those things. Build the lean to off of the side of the car with the door on the side and paint the cars the same color as your metal and it really does look nice. Works great.

Thanks!!!!! :cboy:
24 of them came of the tracks here day before yesterday. Sure bet you could make a good deal on them if you could remove them pretty quick. :lol2:

Alice":2to4xyci said:
Believe it or not, I saw a used box car advertised for sale on craig's list about a week ago.

Alice

If that is the 20 footer, it is getting buried. Storm cellar. Good one. Cheap and highly effective.

I didn't want to dig that hole so I bid that job really high. I guess I didn't bid it high enough :shock: :shock:

Google "used railroad cars" and you'll find several sites. Trouble is, moving a railcar can run into thousands of dollars even if the initial cost of the car is reasonable.

I got an old Uhaul truck sitting behind the barn I would love to get rid of. The box would make excellent storage. With a little luck and a lot of gas, you might get it running and drive it to your place. Needs tires.

Thanks....I will start looking for containers. Backhoe....that is exactly what I am after. Have seen the barns and they are really nice....a few trusses, a roof and done!!! Thanks!!!

Latest posts