Box Turtles and Toad Frogs and Bullfrogs.

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime said:
cc, you and jr should stick with patching up chainsaws and leaf blowers and stop with the conspiracy bs
Dang Prime.....never seen you come unglued like this.....you own stock in cell phones?

For the past few years I've been covered up with toad frogs. They really come out at night to hunt and eat bugs. I literally caught over 50 last summer at one time, put them in a bucket and took them down the road and dumped them out just to get rid of them. Still had more than enough to keep the population up. Got a few bull frogs in the tank along with turtles.

TexasBred said:
For the past few years I've been covered up with toad frogs. They really come out at night to hunt and eat bugs. I literally caught over 50 last summer at one time, put them in a bucket and took them down the road and dumped them out just to get rid of them. Still had more than enough to keep the population up. Got a few bull frogs in the tank along with turtles.

I wonder how much wildlife feral cats take out. My cellular game cameras ding two or three times a night with cats. No one near me owns a cat.

Bigfoot said:
Freshwater mussels are a good indicator of the health of your water. Daughter wanted to see one, and the same stream where as a child, I couldn't step without stepping on one......I couldn't find one. Not even a shell.

I read an article some times ago that the clams, mussels are not being able to develop because the the water they are in has became acid to the point that it eats up their shells as fast as they can develop them.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:

I wonder how much wildlife feral cats take out. My cellular game cameras ding two or three times a night with cats. No one near me owns a cat.

Same here. I put the trap out and catch them then relocate them about 5 miles down the road at some "ratty" looking place . :lol2:

We haven't had horned toads or quail in about 25 years. We have plenty of toads and lizards tho. Turkey are all over us. Turtles are crossing the road like crazy during breeding season.

hurleyjd said:
Bigfoot said:
Freshwater mussels are a good indicator of the health of your water. Daughter wanted to see one, and the same stream where as a child, I couldn't step without stepping on one......I couldn't find one. Not even a shell.

I read an article some times ago that the clams, mussels are not being able to develop because the the water they are in has became acid to the point that it eats up their shells as fast as they can develop them.
I must have a lot of mussels in my pond. I see the empty shells all over the place where coons and herons have pulled them out...and I guess otters are eating them too.
No shortage of toads around here either (except horned toads)
And those green frogs...everywhere. Can't hear yourself think right before a rain in spring and summer.

Lot of little critters disappeared when the fire ants came in, now we have feral hogs that are destroying a lot critters also.

backhoeboogie said:
We haven't had horned toads or quail in about 25 years. We have plenty of toads and lizards tho. Turkey are all over us. Turtles are crossing the road like crazy during breeding season.

When is the turtle "rut"??

May-June in east Texas. If you barely catch one with your truck tire, it'll go flyin off about 30 ft accross and into the bar ditch...or into a car coming from the other direction...

greybeard said:
May-June in east Texas. If you barely catch one with your truck tire, it'll go flyin off about 30 ft accross and into the bar ditch...or into a car coming from the other direction...

Used to be around here a decent sized snapping turtle wouldn't make it across the road. I've seen a many a person stop and it them in their truck bed or even trunks of cars. Hasn't been too many years so I would find jugs in our ponds where folks had climbed fences and set them out.

I'm confused... do Chinese eat turtles and frogs?! I thought they ate cats and dogs?! 😅🤣😂 Everyone around here drops cats off at the Chinese restaurants. That's ain't no lie either! 😅🤣😂 😝
I wonder where all the turtles and frogs have gone? 🤔 Maybe they moved to another state... not where I live either. Oh yea slugs too!! Where are they? I used to see them little boogers and put salt on them.

Chevy said:
I'm confused... do Chinese eat turtles and frogs?! I thought they ate cats and dogs?! 😅🤣😂 Everyone around here drops cats off at the Chinese restaurants. That's ain't no lie either! 😅🤣😂 😝
I wonder where all the turtles and frogs have gone? 🤔 Maybe they moved to another state... not where I live either. Oh yea slugs too!! Where are they? I used to see them little boogers and put salt on them.

I am calling PETA!

Numerous times I seen people stop their cars , walk to the middle of the Hwy to pick up and carry a turtle to the bar ditch. They risk their lives and other drivers lives to save the life of a turtle. If you have a flat tire no one stops to help, unless it is a pretty young woman in a short dress. :cboy:

cowboy43 said:
Numerous times I seen people stop their cars , walk to the middle of the Hwy to pick up and carry a turtle to the bar ditch. They risk their lives and other drivers lives to save the life of a turtle. If you have a flat tire no one stops to help, unless it is a pretty young woman in a short dress. :cboy:
😅🤣😂😅🤣😂
What is a bar ditch?
I'd stop to try to help somebody with a flat tire but where I live most likely be a bad situation.... being I wouldn't be much help unless to give them a ride somewhere. High chance of being a methhead here.
I do stop give people rides occasionally. Or people I like to call home free or homies most people call homeless. Or even the panhandler I'll stop give them a few bucks, food, water, sunscreen, gas etc. Just depends on the day. I'll give their dogs hotdogs. Some you can tell are just pass through. Others are panhandlers.
Okay okay yea I'm the crazy girl stopping to save the turtles too!!! Stopping to check on people after wrecks. Nothing wrong with that. I don't put my life in danger doing it.

In Texas a bar ditch is the ditch that runs along beside the highway ,it is lower that the highway thus it is a drainage ditch. The ditch that the county or state mows also it is used for people to throw trash out of their car window, the expression Don't mess with Texas was created from people throwing trash in the bar ditch :cboy:

I think "bar ditch" comes from when building roads they would take dirt from the side of the road "borrow" to use to build the road up and have a ditch for drainage. So borrow ditch became bar ditch, kinda like a far stick instead of a fire stick.

And yes a bar ditch is where folks throw their trash. I spent this afternoon picking trash up out of the "bar ditch".

Here in Australia when i was a kid in the 1980's there was frogs and tadpoles everywhere. If you had a storm there was tadpoles in all the puddles. Now there are very very few. We'd go to the creeks and catch tadpoles and keep them in our rooms in jars, my kids have missed out on that. I have heard lots of theories why they are gone but none of them seem to make much sense. We still have squillions of earthworms which is a really good sign of soil health.

Latest posts