Used Highlift

Help Support CattleToday:

Goodlife

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a used highlift for development of our place (see post on Beginner Board for more.)

First I don't know a lot about highlifts, but my brother does as a union operator. My question is around what type to purchase. I originally was looking at CAT 953's and found a couple in the $17k-$25k range that posted they were in good working order. Then I found a 941 (70's model) for $15k and it seems to be in very good shape. For general work (Digging a road, removing trees, digging ponds, knocking down trees (some big oaks and hickory's)) would the 941 do the job for me? I normally would spend the extra money to have more than I need instead of less, but money is tight with all the other projects I have going on so saving $5k would be nice. But I am afraid if I purchased the 941 I would regret it. The 941 is older but from what I understand some of the older CAT's were real workhorses.

What do you think?

i have been around this kind of equipment all of my life and when i was 12 my dad sent me and my mom 350 miles away to look at a track loader and have me run it and check it out then bought it with dad never seeing it so i can probaly help you. we have owend about 50 pieces of equipment and 15 track loaders we bought a new 953 in 06. if i was looking with what you are wanting to spend i would look at 953s 943s and maybe a good later model 941 but i don't think there is one around that i would want to give 15000 for. the older cats are fine i have alot of hours on a 931 but for taking a decent job i would want a rear engine machine they are just alot nicer to run and will get more work done faster. i don't know how much work you have and i completly understand wanting to spend as little as possible but after it is done 5000 more if you can for a 53 or 43 would definetly be wort it if i can answer any thing else please let me know.

Latest posts