Use of LongRange in ET and AI work

Help Support CattleToday:

SEIOWACATTLE

Reaction score
This subject may have been covered but could not find it in the search specifically. Have any of you used LongRange wormer on any recip's, donor's or on ai program with any negative or positive results? There is a lot of experience on this site with ET work and just wondered if LongRange was being used by any of you. Thank you for your responses in advance!!

Let's get this thread rollin:

I don't use LongRange. I use Eprinex which includes the same active parasiticide - eprinomectin. The difference between LR and Eprinex is. 1.) The pathway of administration. LR is injectable and Eprinex is topical. 2.) LR includes patented carriers that maintain a level of eprinomectin over a longer period of time. Here is the description of the carrier:

LONGRANGE® (eprinomectin) is a ready-to-use, sterile injectable preparation containing eprinomectin, a member of the macrocyclic lactone class of antiparasitics. Each mL of LONGRANGE contains 50 mg of eprinomectin in a co-solvent system of N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (30% v/v) and triacetin (qs), along with 50 mg of poly-lactide-co-glycolic-acid 75:25 (PLGA), a polymer that allows a slow release of eprinomectin from the formulation, thereby maintaining a prolonged duration of product effectiveness. Butylated hydroxytoluene (0.2 mg/mL) acts as an antioxidant in the formulation.

I have had personal conversation with Dr. Steve Falk of Merial who developed LR. I was discussing Eprinex not LR. The only warning I recall on eprinomectin is that you should not treat your herd bull before turning him on cows as there is some reservations that eprinomectin might decrease spermatogenesis.

If there are fertility or conception issues with LR it could be in the "carrier".

I used L R for several years, no problems at all, don't know that it helped or hurt conception.
The one thing I do know is last year I thought there price increase was way to much so I didn't use it , mistake, this year my cows will be back on it. They just don't look as good as in previous years on it, and I did test a few years while on it. Wormed in the spring no eggs in the fall.

We have used it for two years in a row now, and are strictly AI/embryo work. We have not noticed a difference in conception rates, but like the product (other than the cost).