USDA Processing Facilities

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where the best place for this was, so here it is....

I am shocked at how few USDA facilities there are in my area. The closest two to me are about 150 miles. There are a lot of USDA facilities, but only these two do custom processing.

Maybe there are more and I can't find them. Most USDA plants only process their own meat.

This makes it hard for a producer to sell retail cuts. There are still mom and pop places that do whole animals for animal owners. I looked into starting a USDA facility and the price was beyond my means.

How do you guys deal with this? Am I missing something?

List of facilities
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsi ... -directory
http://www.extension.org/pages/23875/fi ... your-plant

Nada there....

CF,
We are selling our soul to overseas producers on everything. I don't trust food that comes from China and some other places, and they are getting to be a bigger and bigger part of our food chain. Insane in my book.

Speaking of insane, Jo, you are going to have to help me on your riddle.

HDRider":2sq3eamq said:
Speaking of insane, Jo, you are going to have to help me on your riddle.

I looked into a kill facility myself. Cheapest I could build it was $135,000 and this was just a small setup. I wanted to promote locally raised livestock and sell local. Thought it would be good for me and good for the other producers in the area and it would create some much needed jobs. I saved and scrimped, bought land, got plans and was debt free with the seed money to start construction.

Unfortunately, during the initial construction phase I met the government and their list of obstacles and fees they demanded - $30,000 before I laid the first brick. Even got caught in the middle of a dispute between the feds and the state. State was wanting to fine me for something the feds had overseen and approved. Feds told me to tell the state guys to kiss my arse but I'm not stupid so I canned the idea and promised the state guy I wouldn't be building anything that would create a job and this made him happy and he left me alone - much more from him and I'd been digging a hole just for him.(BTW- the fine had to do with me moving a pile of dirt from the edge of a ditch the city had dug and put the spoils on my property without asking me. State guy said this dry storm overflow ditch was navigable waters and since the city had agreed to some conditions of a grant they had to enforce this even though I was NOT in the city and subsequently not bound by this rule. Feds told me so.)

So if you wonder why there aren't more shops like this, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I got you now Jo.

I know, I had a lot of passion around doing a processing facility. I wanted to do it in Arkansas, as part of my larger plan. I worked in a SC plant for a while to learn the ropes. SC has a state inspection program, where AR does not. Sounds like GA does.

I was looking at around $1M for what I was thinking. Then there is the challenge of getting qualified labor. Working in SC, I come to appreciate the art and skill of those folks. I have never seen a higher skill level and team work. It was very uplifting, and discouraging at the same time.

I even went to the local Arkansas Vo-Tech school and local county high schools to see if they would institute a program to train meat cutters. What a laugh they got out of my idea. This country is on the fast path to you know where. Everyone must go to college. Ha! It is heresy to train a plumber, or electrician or any valued trade. Kills me.

Then the USDA. Wow. That whole system is rigged to keep the small guy out. Large corps own that agency, and they serve their masters well. Did you know that about 80% of all beef come out of something like 5 processing plants? Pork is similar.

There are some little guys out there. Those two I listed above are top notch, just so far away from me, and they are busy, busy.

Some places get it. Like
http://www.fleishers.com/butcher-traini ... ng-program

http://meatchris.com/

SC is benefitting from their investment in VoTech schools in many ways. Georgia is catching on and beginning to invest in that. Its the skilled labor that attracts companies. Georgia does have state meat inspectors but with that you still cannot sell the meat unless it is stamped by the feds. Not sure if the state does this on contract for the feds or if its actually a fed inspector. Most I've ever heard one say is, "there ain't nothing wrong with that one" before it steps in the kill pen.

I deal with the state inspectors and its not easy getting an answer or communicating with them. I paid my license fee about six months ago and have still not gotten my license renewed even though they have cashed my check. Phone calls made and they said they weren't sure I was an American. Signed another affidavit and faxed it to them and still no renewal. I don't know if its incompetence or if they are just overworked but judging from their recent drunken orgy that made the news at a training seminar it does give you pause to wonder. While I agree with a lot of the stuff they require some of it has gone far beyond the point of reason and has well passed the point of diminishing returns regarding food safety. Read an article about how California of all places is canning some of these restrictions and regulations and making it easier for cottage industries to grow. I don't know what the answer is but I know it is a headache for the small guy. The best advice I was given came from one of the head guys and he told me there was no way I could comply with all the regulations if I went at it on my own because there is just too much paperwork and much of it is irrelevant and not truly required. He stated that if someone in the department did not take you under their wing it would be nearly impossible to do what I wanted to do. He is a wise man.

Red Bull Breeder":k8mp8ex8 said:
Garner brothers in Van Buren. Meachams in Batesville. Benton Packing, Benton. Hawthorns, Hot Springs.
Thanks RBB

I actually talked to the owner of Meachams about buying it. VB & Benton is almost 300 miles from me, HS is over 200. I bet there aren't too many more than what you named.

HDRider":g1k2izxv said:
Red Bull Breeder":g1k2izxv said:
I use to have a list of the ones in Arkansas. Don't know what I did with it. Was 4 or 5 of them, may not be now.

One of them I was talking about is in TN.
http://www.yoderbros.com/about.htm

This one is in ARK.
http://www.cypressvalleymeatcompany.com/

I live in the same county as the facility in TN. You are right about them being busy. Most of the hunters in this area have their meat processed their too.

The Amish have a modern facility in Randolph County Ark. They do custom for farmers and hunters and also sell to the locals. They are busy during deer season but have openings the rest of the year.

keysbottles":2lyo7j2x said:
The Amish have a modern facility in Randolph County Ark. They do custom for farmers and hunters and also sell to the locals. They are busy during deer season but have openings the rest of the year.

I don't think they are USDA are they?

If you are going to sell individual cuts or packages to the public it must be federally inspected. This costs me $25/head for me. Then your scales must be certified by the state and you have to pass a few other things. This will run you another $180 or so. Only then is your meat safe.

Most user friendly method is to sell a portion of the animal and have the buyer pay the processor and you are exempt from all this stuff but it can only be consumed and not resold.

I don't know what the laws are in Ark but other Amish families bought the local country store and sell bread, pastries, pies etc. that they have made. They also sell pies to restaurants for resale and deliver pastries to the banks and other offices daily. The meat processor will process your animal but also feeds out his on animals and sells processed meat to the public. I know he will sell a half carcass, I don't know if he sells individual cuts. They are located out in the sticks,, not a good ratail location. I do know they make summer sausage etc. They do excellent work,,I recommend them highly.

Latest posts