USDA EQIP PROGRAM

Help Support CattleToday:

It can be or it may not be. Depends on which part of it you get into. They wanted me to plant trees and not do anything else with a field for 10 years, that one didn;t fly for me. Doing a TSI on another area, that one works for me.

I was in the EQUP program when I lived in Ohio and did alot of EQIP work for other(fence,grass seeding,ect).I liked it and they left you alone for the most part ,but like most of the gov. contacts there is alot of stuff that goes on under the table.

The combination that gets you into the program is how "important you are" and how much your farm is "hurting the enviroment", remember that when you fill out the paper work.Very few folks that wern't involved in the comunity ever got into the program aleast thats the way it was in our area.

We've had real good luck in the program. Our field agent is very helpful and comes out to our farm if we ask for help and information. We have done quite a bit of cross fencing setting up a rotational grazing program. We are contracted for more fence, pasture legume planting, and livestock pipelines. The only problem is that they say 50% payout but they are basing their prices on old data, not current prices of the supplies. I'm not complaining though, anything is better then nothing.

Thanks. I will give it a try these year, They say they are out of funds for now. I need new cross fence, water supply, and other repairs, that are very much past due on the old farm.

Thanks in Louisiana!!! Let good times roll!!!!!

TNMasterBeefProducer":l12pw91n said:
Its a good thing. They will help pay for a hay barn, working facilities, genetics, cross fencing. NRCS will pay you not to plant crops to prevent soil erosion.

Where does a hay barn and working facilities come in? Our guys only cover seeding improved forage, adding paddock water, and cross fencing.

footballjdtractor":xq8n23tn said:
Talk to other people in your area who have participated. The program is only as good as your local agent.

You got that right! I now have land in two different counties. The first one had a real know it all agent and it was cheaper to pay for 100% of the (needed) improvements myself. Once I got land in the second county - - I worked with them and had no major issues. Still no hay barn though...

I think eqip is the same nationwide but some practices may not be practicle in certian regions.They have a whole wish list of things you can do.The problem is that if you get in you get every thing on your wish list,doesn't leave much money for those a little down on the list.

Your dead on with it's only as good as your agent our county was a joke,but the next county over had a great guy who I worked with on projects for others.

Latest posts