US imports record amount of beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
U.S. relies on world to meet beef demand
this document web posted: Wednesday February 16, 2005 20050217p62

By Barbara Duckworth
Calgary bureau

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - In a year when BSE confined U.S. beef to its own borders, it still imported record amounts of meat.

The United States imported 3.65 billion pounds of beef in 2004 when normal imports are closer to 3.1 billion lb.

The imports filled a gap because American production did not meet its domestic needs, Cattlefax analysts told the National Cattlemen's Beef Association meeting in San Antonio Feb. 2.

In 2004, the U.S. had its smallest fed cattle slaughter since 1993. It produced 24.5 billion lb. of beef but consumed 27.7 billion, partly due to high demand for ground meat.

"Forty-eight percent of U.S. consumption is in the form of ground beef," said Cattlefax executive vice-president Randy Blach.

Cow slaughter in the U.S. was at its lowest level since the mid-1990s and it could not meet the need for lean manufacturing beef from cow and beef slaughter.

In 2003, the U.S. imported about nine million lb. of beef per week but in 2004 it imported up to 60 million lb. of beef a week.

The U.S. net beef supply, which is made up of domestic supply plus imports minus exports, reached an all time high of 28 billion lb. in 2004. The beef trade deficit hit $2.5 billion.

"It is the largest discrepancy between imports and exports in history," said Blach.

While considerable amounts of beef came from Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the dark horse was Uruguay. The South American country shipped 375 million lb. of beef to the U.S. last year compared to 72 million the year before. Most of the imports were lean trim used for grinding meat.

Uruguay has a 44 million lb. quota level that it can freely export, but was willing to pay the 25 percent tariff on overquota exports to take advantage of the higher American price, up 35 percent over 2003.

Uruguay benefitted from its status as being free of foot-and-mouth disease, unlike the beef powerhouses Brazil and Argentina. The U.S. allows beef from these two countries only if it is cooked, cured or canned and appears in products like soup mixes, jerky, frozen dinners or processed deli meats.

Last year Brazil shipped about 215 million lb. to the U.S., about 15 million more than its usual.

Brazil's beef quality is not the same as American grain-fed beef. Brazil does not have enough demand for that kind of beef and Japan is not a large enough market for it to change its production practices.

Australia has consistently shipped about one billion lb. of beef to the U.S. in the last five years. It was also a major winner in the global export scene since the U.S. was shut out of Asia. It has stepped up production to meet Asian demand and plans to hold those markets even after the U.S. returns.

"They will fight to keep the market share they gained in those markets," said Mike Miller.

New Zealand has also maintained a consistent export pattern to the U.S., selling more than 630 million lb. annually since 1999.

Canada was the largest beef supplier in 2004 providing 1.1 billion lb. of whole muscle, boxed product to the U.S. Since 1999, Canadian imports have averaged slightly less than one billion lb. The exception was 2003 when beef from Canada dropped to 740 million lb. due to the BSE embargo.

Rancher--It would be interesting to know what price Canadian ranchers received for the 1.1 billion pounds of boxed beef exported to the US in 2004, and what the average retail price in the US was. I assume Canadian ranchers got low prices and I bet the retail price on this side of the border didn't reflect that. Wonder who's making all the $$$$$$????

Without going into all the nitty-gritty, I can't name the beneficiaries of all the profit, Old Man, but I can guarantee that the Canadian ranchers' share was a pathetic one.

Lean ground beef up here was selling in the grocery store for close to three bucks a pound and when a cull cow sells in the $0.18 - $0.20 cw range, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the money went (and were it didn't).

Take care.

Old Man":36lujdxn said:
The large corporate entities ruined the poultry and pork farmers, I think they're now trying their hardest to do the same to the beef growers.
How did they ruin em??? Did the big corps force them to do something they didnt want.....I thought the chicken and hogmen wanted security...wanted to know how much they were going to make...wanted a sure thing...they got it

Sounds like some pro R-CALF positions in here :). I haven't "picked sides" yet in the NCBA and R-CALF squabble. But as I've been researching stuff, NCBA appears to have slowly grown more towards the Packers perspectives. R-Calf appears to be totally a producers organization. What NCBA did when it formed is commendable: form an organization of ALL entities involved in the overall industry. I'm not so sure that they haven't gotten their vision clouded somewhat with the big money that comes from big industry, though. Somebody has to look after the interests of the cow/calf producer. But we also need to look at where and how we market our cattle -- right now it goes through several middlemen (buyers, feeders, packers, grocers, etc.) who all get their cut. But if we look at some math, we might get other ideas on where/how to market: If we sell a 1000 lb calf at $85/cwt, that equates to about 380 pounds of meat. So we get about $2.24 per pound of meat (I assumed %63% weight on the hoof=630 lbs hanging times 60% of that to yeild the 380 pounds of meat). Granted, we have some loss and the organ meats aren't included. But if we could co-op and sell BEEF at about $4.50/lb average, we'd be undercutting the current market, eliminating some of the costs of all the middlemen, and making a better return on our investments. As in the current industry, there are the side industries (hides, tallow, heads, organ meats, etc.) that could benefit as well. \
BUT that does mean different competition and we don't know what agreements exist in the current side industries and the corporate packers. Yup, lots of regulations to follow and some big pitfalls that are currently known in the trade at this point. But the little folks who are into boxed beef in the states seem to be doing well in their niche markets. Just a little food for thought (steak is good food :) ) to maybe stir this pot up again.
By the way, does anybody know where to find out who else besides producers are paying the $1 per head beef checkoff and how many times per cow that costs is collected?

Tex

texhallMT":2e8fszbb said:
I haven't "picked sides" yet in the NCBA and R-CALF squabble.
Really unbelievable. If you don't know where you stand by now, you probably never will.

texhallMT":2e8fszbb said:
By the way, does anybody know where to find out who else besides producers are paying the $1 per head beef checkoff and how many times per cow that costs is collected?
Cattlemen's Beef Board

Texan,
Not so unbelievable except to those whose minds are totally closed. Once I commit, it will be complete since I ain't a fence straddler (too many of them are barbed :eek: ). My first interactions with NCBA seemed like they had their heads right and were looking at the overall "Big Picture" of the beef industry. Since my little trip to DC a week or so ago (got to hear the sales pitches by both sides) I can see validity of both organizations. But as you could probably tell by my comments, I'm leaning towards R-CALF's mentality for cattlemen. The real best answers are probably a mix of the two. If we focus completely on the cattleman without considering the impact on the rest of the industry, then we'll end up pissing on our own boots. On the other hand, I haven't been able to get my arms completely around some of R-CALFs tactics. Largely that's thanx to the media reporting (not a trustworthy source) and trying to sort out what is real information and what is misinformation. If one were to use Frenchie as a source - and some seem to - then R-CALF is the devil incarnate.
Bottom line is that I will get good data to base my decision on, not just numbers of members, how many PhD Aggies are on the staff, and who has the best press releases. Heck I'm only starting my second year as a full-time producer...got a few other decisions to make hear that will keep me in a job 8) . Thanx for the note on where to find the checkoff dollar question ... been trying to get their website to load for a while earlier today.

Happy Easter

Tex

texhallMT":244c9udw said:
Texan,
Not so unbelievable except to those whose minds are totally closed.
Has nothing to do with closed minds. To me it has to do with the principles that I try to live by and do business by. You either believe in more laws and more lawyers and more big government intervention---that's what R-CALF wants. Or you don't. Seems pretty simple to me. Closed-minded like I am.

Texan":1bxew8zj said:
texhallMT":1bxew8zj said:
Texan,
Has nothing to do with closed minds. To me it has to do with the principles that I try to live by and do business by. You either believe in more laws and more lawyers and more big government intervention---that's what R-CALF wants. Or you don't. Seems pretty simple to me. Closed-minded like I am.

You all, I spouted off once a few weeks ago about being a R-Calf supporter right about the time of the injunction granted by Judge Cebull on March 7th. But when They Post Ads in the Washington post as they did on March 16th that is all I need to say Enough For Me. I have since then renounced my membership and gave them MY Two Cents on where I stand on their tactics. I joined their organization because they help support the American rancher but from what I have seen they can hurt us just the same. And what they are doing to the Canadians is totally uncalled for and against My principles. To sum my viewpoint up on the whole situation I don't agree with their principles and we Don't need a bunch more radical wackos playing games with our business!
Why not open the borders to Canadian live cattle? It needs to happen someday let's get it over with! Is it a *good time* to do so? The feed lots are having enough problems and I would say Not but will it Ever be a *good time*? Hopefully we can get the Japs to dig their heads out of their be nice first but I don't see that happening too soon.
Anybody else??? :shock:

buckaroo_bif":3tbwqqn4 said:
Texan":3tbwqqn4 said:
texhallMT":3tbwqqn4 said:
Texan,

You all, I spouted off once a few weeks ago about being a R-Calf supporter right about the time of the injunction granted by Judge Cebull on March 7th. But when They Post Ads in the Washington post as they did on March 16th that is all I need to say Enough For Me. I have since then renounced my membership and gave them MY Two Cents on where I stand on their tactics. I joined their organization because they help support the American rancher but from what I have seen they can hurt us just the same. And what they are doing to the Canadians is totally uncalled for and against My principles. To sum my viewpoint up on the whole situation I don't agree with their principles and we Don't need a bunch more radical wackos playing games with our business!
Why not open the borders to Canadian live cattle? It needs to happen someday let's get it over with! Is it a *good time* to do so? The feed lots are having enough problems and I would say Not but will it Ever be a *good time*? Hopefully we can get the Japs to dig their heads out of their be nice first but I don't see that happening too soon.
Anybody else??? :shock:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cboy:

Buckaroo, Thanx for adding to the point about getting the right information needed to make a good decision. Out of curiousity, have you sent their rep a copy of what you just told us to see how they react?
I haven't seen the ad in the Washington Compost yet, but I'll try to hunt it down. I've got a few other comments, but I ain't had time to get them all scribbled down yet. Wife got an infection in her foot, and I ain't decided yet whether or not to put her down or keep treating her :lol: (oops, that part's suposed to go on the broken leg update board). Even after we've made decisions sometimes, we tend to not review the reasons for doing so and just keep doing things the same old way. Good to hear all in here have got an ear out for changes in the industry. Canadian boxed beef has been coming across (and even more so) since the border 'closing'. Politics and politicians set us up for this whole deal...but that's what comes of having too many lawyers and not enough folks with horse sense up there in the first place. Time to fire a few more of them lawmakers that we hired.
I've started talking to both camps -- NCBA and R-CALF -- to get their perspectives and have already told R-CALF that I ain't so sure that I agree with some of their tactics.

Tex (hey Texan, where you from? )

Oh yeah I told em alright MT. You can't reason with groups like that. They are what I would refer to as "political activists" and those kind of people have only one agenda on their mind and that is Their agenda. Any other repercussions of any kind is immaterial to them!
Now all we can do is sit back and watch cause I don't have a clue what's up next...?
Anybody else!!! ? :roll:

texhallMT-- If you decide to support and become an NCBA supporter ( which I used to be) I hope you are young-- because if you follow their ideas and plans for the cattle industry, you may be old before you see a profit from them... For 20 years they told us that the free trade and world trade would develop a lucrative cattle industry-- Out of those 20 years we saw maybe 2 years of good cattle prices, and many many years of breakeven or money losing cattle prices... R-CALF, in the few years it has been in existence, has helped to generate 2 of the best years including last years record calf and cull prices... And now with beliefs of the border possibly being closed for at least the next year or longer in court challenges - we are seeing record high feeders future prices....Aug feeders were over 107 today :)

Are you young enough to put up with 20 more years of mediocre returns with the ever increasing costs :?: ...

so we have these record high prices due to R-calf old timer? I htink not look at what else had happened the last two years. Its a combination of things not just cause of what R-calf has done.
bif

Oldtimer":1og0s0d9 said:
texhallMT-- If you decide to support and become an NCBA supporter ( which I used to be) I hope you are young-- because if you follow their ideas and plans for the cattle industry, you may be old before you see a profit from them... For 20 years they told us that the free trade and world trade would develop a lucrative cattle industry-- Out of those 20 years we saw maybe 2 years of good cattle prices, and many many years of breakeven or money losing cattle prices... R-CALF, in the few years it has been in existence, has helped to generate 2 of the best years including last years record calf and cull prices... And now with beliefs of the border possibly being closed for at least the next year or longer in court challenges - we are seeing record high feeders future prices....Aug feeders were over 107 today :)

Are you young enough to put up with 20 more years of mediocre returns with the ever increasing costs :?: ...

With all those bad yrs its amazing you survived....OT can,t have been too bad your still here..

buckaroo_bif":e9ylte3i said:
so we have these record high prices due to R-calf old timer? I htink not look at what else had happened the last two years. Its a combination of things not just cause of what R-calf has done.
bif

bif- I'm sure some other factors played a role, but I'm sure the #1 influence was the closed border....I guess the main thing I look at in deciding whose giving me the best story is by who comes thru with action , not BS---20 years of NCBA lobbying brought nothing- since then R-CALF has proven the huge negative impact that imported cattle have on our cattle market....Like the old saying-"Money talks, Bullsh*t walks" ...Thats why I said bye bye to NCBA thinking....I don't buy the argument that R-CALF didn't have a major impact in the good prices we're seeing today- that its just a coincidence... If its coincidence, then they are awful lucky and I'll put my money with who has the luck riding with them.... R-CALF is the only organization that has been open and honest with the consumers- that has actually fought against USDA's fraudulent labeling of beef.......

Oldtimer":877n20lw said:
buckaroo_bif":877n20lw said:
bif

bif- I'm sure some other factors played a role, but I'm sure the #1 influence was the closed border....I guess the main thing I look at in deciding whose giving me the best story is by who comes thru with action , not BS---20 years of NCBA lobbying brought nothing- since then R-CALF has proven the huge negative impact that imported cattle have on our cattle market....Like the old saying-"Money talks, Bullsh*t walks" ...Thats why I said bye bye to NCBA thinking....I don't buy the argument that R-CALF didn't have a major impact in the good prices we're seeing today- that its just a coincidence... If its coincidence, then they are awful lucky and I'll put my money with who has the luck riding with them.... R-CALF is the only organization that has been open and honest with the consumers- that has actually fought against USDA's fraudulent labeling of beef.......

I guess you better get walking then

[/quote]

I guess you better get walking then[/quote]

what's that frenchie are we hiking again!??? :D
oh boy i love hiking! :D

Oldtimer":qqed83us said:
buckaroo_bif":qqed83us said:
bif

Old Timey we had record high prices Before the first bse episode over two years ago. Cattle inventory was the biggest factor and still is today. I wasn't saying R-calf had nothing to do with Keeping those prices but I sure nuff ain't gonna give the wackos all the credit either!
bif

Latest posts