Ups and downs

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Saturday turned out to have some good things and some really bad things. The bad things first. Had to pull a calf, first one ever for me personally and only the second one for as long as I can remember. Calf was dead and the yearling (her first) was not doing well either. Apparently she had been trying to have this baby for a couple of days. She went missing a couple of days ago and when they don't show up for their treats it usually means birthing or otherwise in trouble. We looked most of the morning and finally found her in the neonatal unit (really dense brush) very much in distress with a huge calf partially exposed. We got her back to the barn just before the skies opened (the "up"), got her down and connected the come-along. When we got the calf extracted I couldn't believe just how big it was. He measured about 48 inches long from nose to butt. I mean this calf would have passed for a three month old. Anyway, we gave the cow massive doses of antibiotic, some fresh water and a bag of cubes and left her in a dry and comfortable place to wait out the storm. Sunday morning she was up and eating grass, cubes and drinking water. Turned her out into general population yesterday afternoon and she seems to be doing just fine.

The next "down" came when I tried to move the carcass. My new to me JD 2755 that I just got to of the shop had a hard time moving. My $4000.00 clutch job didn't work. Don't know how this is going to turn out but I suspect it's going to get ugly before it gets resolved.

OK, now for the good thing. WE GOT ALMOST FIVE INCHES OF RAIN!!! Looks like my rain dance (dancing naked in the front yard) worked.

Lava, had a pretty bad weekend myself! Flooding caused a lot of damage (entire hay field washed out when the creek busted over), not to mention the fertilizer cost loss...

But as the wife and I were cleaning up around the house, she reminded me that if it was easy, anyone could do it! Sort of put things into perspective for me. I love the farming lifestyle and all the good and bad that go along with it. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Keep you chin up and keep on trucking!

Brian

No matter how bad things are with the cows, job, health, etc. There is someone that has it a while lot worse.

dun":2uupoki4 said:
No matter how bad things are with the cows, job, health, etc. There is someone that has it a while lot worse.
:nod:
I sure hope thins get better for you, but don't let it get you down.