Upgrade Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Bird

Reaction score
Anyone out there have any of the simmental Upgrade bull females in there herd? If so how do they turn out? And did you have a calfing issues from him? Thanks

Bird":vool969m said:
Anyone out there have any of the simmental Upgrade bull females in there herd? If so how do they turn out? And did you have a calfing issues from him? Thanks
We do, and I wish I had more! I love each and every one; we have several half bloods and purebreds. Never had a problem with any of them. They can come big for a first calf heifer, but we never had any problems. If you are concerned, use heifer sexed semen on heifers.

Thanks FSR, We will being using him on middle age cows. Upgrades actual bw is just a higher than we like to see, so I was just wondering if he would throw any calves with that bw?

Bird":28ophw7o said:
Thanks FSR, We will being using him on middle age cows. Upgrades actual bw is just a higher than we like to see, so I was just wondering if he would throw any calves with that bw?
Upgrade is an embryo himself, so you can not put much weight on the birth weight because the recipient dam has more to do with that. He will throw a big calf from a big cow, but we have never touched one and most are in the 80 to low 90 pound range.

By the way, this fall we weighed yearling weights for the heifers, and the Upgrades were far superior to the others. Both Upgrade heifers were right at the thousand pound mark. Meaty, and big bones. Everyone that walks our pasture picks out the two Upgrades first, and want to buy them. We keep those for ourselves, since we know how great they are in production!

I`m glad to hear they are making good cows since we just bought a Upgrade heifer. She was out of a heifer and they used sexed semen. She is very calm has a big middle and plenty of grow to her. We plan on breeding her to One Eyed Jack and hope for a baldy heifer. I just used Upgrade on 2 cows last month that I feel needed the extra growth.

jd720":3ps1t4oi said:
I`m glad to hear they are making good cows since we just bought a Upgrade heifer. She was out of a heifer and they used sexed semen. She is very calm has a big middle and plenty of grow to her. We plan on breeding her to One Eyed Jack and hope for a baldy heifer. I just used Upgrade on 2 cows last month that I feel needed the extra growth.

Funny, we just bred our two Sept Upgrade heifers to One Eyed Jack. One was 21 days yesterday, the other is 21 Monday. So far, so good.
We have lots of Upgrade calves due in the spring.

My thoughts are this heifer already has enough grow and belly so One eyed Jack should add the style. I haven`t had any One Eyed jack calves but he seems to be working well on heifers. I plan on using more now that it`s $50.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3myw2ktv said:
By the way, this fall we weighed yearling weights for the heifers, and the Upgrades were far superior to the others. Both Upgrade heifers were right at the thousand pound mark. Meaty, and big bones. Everyone that walks our pasture picks out the two Upgrades first, and want to buy them. We keep those for ourselves, since we know how great they are in production!

What do you think the mature weights will be?

Stocker Steve":2l22706l said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2l22706l said:

What do you think the mature weights will be?

Good question. They get their weight from the broodiness, lots of rib shape and muscle. They will likely be around the 1400 pound mark as mature females. We weigh all our cows several times a year (each time we work them, including when we AI). When we AI'd the two heifers three weeks ago, they were 1040 and 1060. They are just out on pasture with the cows/pairs, no supplements. Most of our herd fits there weight wise, with their dams averaging 1350 to 1400 pounds when we weigh. Our mature Upgrade females are no larger than the others as a whole.

We have a heifer out of CARD Uproar that is looking pretty good but she`s only 2 months old now. She looks like she will have plenty of length to her. I will probably use him again. He`s an Upgrade out of a Dream On cow.

We actually have a herd bull that is an Upgrade son out of a Dream On cow. Very nice looking bull. His first heifer calves will be bred as yearlings this spring. So far so good with them. I like their look and growth. We also have 1 bull calf from him also that I really like.

Sorry to bring up a dead topic. I have several upgrade heifers to breed this spring. Angus or char. Cross. They sure impress me, absolutely beautiful girls. In the past I never looked at upgrade as a maternal sire. The growth on them is unreal, almost 100 pounds heavier than my chisum calves born at the same time. Anyone here have upgrades in production? Also, any recommendations on mating with upgrade heifers?

Upgrade is known as a fix everything bull, but I have seen some poor feet in his daughters.
I would look for calving ease and good feet. I can check on some bulls if you have a breed selected?

Stocker Steve":1jtg5u4n said:
Upgrade is known as a fix everything bull, but I have seen some poor feet in his daughters.
I would look for calving ease and good feet. I can check on some bulls if you have a breed selected?

I have 2 fall 2016 Upgrade heifers, so they are a year old now. Both are very impressive. Both have good feet at this point. There are some very respected Simmental breeders who have expressed concerns about the feet.

Very good to know. I will keep an eye on that. May wait a couple years to see how these turn out before breeding to him again. I would prefer to breed them angus. My select sires rep highly recommend gar composure and gar surefire, but I think I'm going to use comrade on my chisum and right answer daughters this spring.

Latest posts