Update to sprinkling in NW Arkansas

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
Remember to always be careful about what you ask for or complain about....

Saturday PM we got a rain. 2 inches in 40 minutes. Along with it came straightline winds that sheared off 8 Electrical poles running across the property line of my lease.

Property owner who is an emt/firefighter called me about 4pm and asked me if my cattle were insured. When I asked why he said that the big AEP supply lines were down in the pasture and the cattle were grazing to close to them for his comfort.

To add frustration to the problem I couldn't get back the lane to the cattle because the lines ran across the lane. So we had to park a 1/4 of a mile away, climb fences, skirt chicken houses-- that neighbor had already trucked in close to 30,000 gallons of water the previous two days because he had lost his wells when the electric went out earlier in the week-- and make sure not to step on another company's set of lines that run beneath the AEP lines.

Fortunately the cattle had decided to move away from the lines on their own. We still hadn't put the panels up from working them that morning so we ran the cattle into the north pasture and closed it off and then dipped water out of the tank and into trash cans and moved it to the other pasture. Then we moved the landowner and his family out of their place and back the way we had come and to some mutual friends for the night.

It was widely thought that we would be without power for 2-3 days but a crew showed up from Louisiana yesterday morning about 8:30 and by yesterday afternoon had most of the poles replaced and by the time I could get back out the drive at 7:30 they were hanging the lines.

Bright spots in an otherwise screwed up weekend. No cattle lost and I think that we gained several hundred feet of fencepost material out of the deal as well.

Glad things turned out alright. You bet, those power poles make great corner posts.

Latest posts