*UPDATE* Steer that won't eat.

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
Ok. We weighed my steer that isn't eating very good today. He weighed about 950. Last time we weighed him was July 28th. He weighed 925. So he is roughly gaining a pound a day, which isn't good at all.

That being said, State Fair is out. But the NILE show in Billings is in October. He needs to weigh 1100 I believe.

Any suggestions of comments if he'll make it?

appetite express top dress was used some friends in our club and it worked GREAT on their steers.
One would go off feed horrible. Never again after starting that.

Might try it.

Appetite Express will help, use twice the recommended amount. Don't feed free choice hay, a flake or 2 a day is plenty. Make sure he has fresh water, not a scum filled tank but fresh daily. A vitamin B shot might help as well. We've also used Vita-Charge from Vitaferm with good results. Make sure his feed is something he likes, lots of molassis will help, we've also used apple flavoring for ones that like apples. He will also eat better if he has a buddy in the barn. They don't have to be in the same pen but it helps. You can tie them so they don't get into each others feed. We have also fed 4 times a day on hard doers. Put a little feed in front of them every 6 hours. Basically, you need to do a lot of experimenting and see what helps. He should be eating 20 to 30 pounds of feed per day. I assume he's been wormed lately and vet checked for any health problems. A little fever with no other outward signs of distress will limit feed intake as well.
Good Luck

The NILE is a fun show...just do not go up there hoping to make the big bucks...but with that being said I probably had the most fun there.

As for the steer, try the powdered pobias. Feed it once a day along with appetite express. See how that works. Then, about 2 weeks out from the NILE, start feeding Sullivan's Refresh. This product does wonders. It is an electrolyte with "Crave It". The electorlyte helps the muscles soak up and retain water for a fresher feeling and the crave it keeps them eating. I swear by the product. They will gain at least 40-50 lbs with in the first week just becuase of water weight.

We had a steer this year that was a pain in the butt when it came to feeding. We fed the express and did the probias paste, what helped the best was top dressing his feed with 4-sure electrolyte. We gave him one packet every feeding which was twice a day. Since we started this he is one big fat pig when it comes to eating :D We did this for one week and its been three weeks now that he has been eating good. We also give them free choice to minerals, hope this helps. :D

Latest posts