Update on my new Brangus Heifer-& a Question

Help Support CattleToday:

No, all Brahmans are NOT that way. Shesh... everyone is sure quick to jump on that bandwagon.

If she hasn't been around strangers, she's protecting herself from something / someone unknown. She familiar with you, and you're feeding her, so you're safer than anyone else. You have to earn their trust before they change their behavior. If she had been hand raised from a young'un, she wouldn't have that attitude.

Sometimes you can change it sometimes not. Depends on the animal. But she's not going to be "safe" with any strangers, that's pretty obvious. I guess you have to decide if you want to keep her knowing the way she is.

Back Hoe-You'd better start saving your pennies :lol: She would have to be outright viscious for no reason or not be able to carry a calf for me to sell her. I just wanted to make sure that what she did was due to her enviroment and not due to her being a "mean" cow...as I felt that way at first, but then was made to feel like it might have been the cow's fault..then was told no, her reaction was normal...very confusing!

I considered beefmasters for a long time, but the guy I bought her from said he only does Brangus and Angus..says they are the best for down this way...not sure how true it is...but I respect him, hes been in this his whole life. We might go with something calmer for my son's 4-h project(Hereford mabey), but I like my girl. :D

Texasbred-psssttt..Im not gentleman...Im a lady... :lol: thats OK, Ive been called worse ;-)
I have really given her a wide berth and have just been hanging out at the gate when I feed her(on the safe side of course!) and talking to her. She listens it seems, I see her satellite ears swinging everywhere. Last night she hung out at the gate, seeing if Id give her more food after she finished. Then she followed me down the driveway when I walked home and gave a huge bellow when she reached the end of pasture and could go no more. I think shes figured out who is the feeder.

I also brought my son with me, but kept him WAY far back. She is very unsure about him, but he insisted on coming..I gave him the talk about he needed to listen to me moreso tonight then ever. He was great. He sat about 10 yards away from the pasture and played with the cat. Was this far enough away? I dont know if he'll want to come across the street every night..but figured if he kept his distance from her pasture, she would be OK. She also came up to the gate of her own accord and sniffed at my hand..looking for food no doubt, but I feel this is a good way to get her on the gentler side and relaxed around people.

BullLady-thanks for the insight. My husband says she'll be inclined to be "hot" due to her breeding, but he says most "hot" cows, through feeding and interaction, will calm down to some degree. I bought her to raise beef from..I just need her gentle enough where Im not worrying about someone getting hurt. I accept the fact she may never do well with strangers...some animals are like that..

Just hoping shes pregnant! Poor girl has had a string of bad luck regarding that!

*Edited to add* Had someone tell me that getting her "too friendly" will cause problems, as she'll mow people over thinking they have food...knowing this heifer now, I dont think thats going to be a problem..but what are some thoughts on this?

I've got several brangus cows and a reg brangus bull. I also have 2, 3/4 brahman cows and all of them are just as calm and laid back as all my other cows. Most will eat right out of my hand. Any breed can and will have hot cows, some more then others, but don't judge an entire breed due to a few individuals.

Give her more time and more positive influence and she will be fine, probably never a pet, but fine.

All our cattle are brangus. 99% are very gentle. I walk thru them a lot but don't "mess with them". Only have one that is a bit "high headed' when trying to pen them but once in the pen she seems to settle down and is really easy to breed, palpate and vaccinate. As much as I love them I still don't want to make pets out of them.

sidney411":2cfql1cm said:
Give her more time and more positive influence and she will be fine, probably never a pet, but fine.

Thats what Im hoping for. I think we will get a weanling to hand raise for the friendly factor and mabey some 4-h and then turn her out with Jam for a buddy. My son enjoyed the calves at the ranch we got her from, hes talked about wanting his own...kill two birds with this idea.. :D

TexasBred":2t7b81as said:
All our cattle are brangus. 99% are very gentle. I walk thru them a lot but don't "mess with them". Only have one that is a bit "high headed' when trying to pen them but once in the pen she seems to settle down and is really easy to breed, palpate and vaccinate. As much as I love them I still don't want to make pets out of them.
I dont want an 1100# dog either...:)

spinandslide":2k4nb29p said:
TexasBred":2k4nb29p said:

If you had an 1100# dog, would your friend expect to walk up to it and pet it too?

Animals are animals. I used to have a gelding that any lady could walk up to. Most men couldn't.

I disagree with your other friend on angus. No big deal. Brangus is the real deal for me in this climate.

backhoeboogie":1g67qy49 said:
spinandslide":1g67qy49 said:
TexasBred":1g67qy49 said:

If you had an 1100# dog, would your friend expect to walk up to it and pet it too?

Animals are animals. I used to have a gelding that any lady could walk up to. Most men couldn't.

I disagree with your other friend on angus. No big deal. Brangus is the real deal for me in this climate.
I would hope not! my horses are in that range and they dont get treated like dogs either. They are LARGE animals that have the capability to hurt you..regardless if they ment it or not.

Backhoe, do you think a brangus weanling would be a good choice for a FFA/4-h project? First timer? I know alot of this boils down to the individual animal..but generaly? I like the Brangus traits for this area...you know, Texas is not an easy place in the summertime...The ranch we bought Jam at will have some weanlings in afew months and there is also a LARGE Brangus farm in Abilene. My husband is in the Air Force and works down there. He says hes seen alot of ads for the place, but when he's called, he never gets an answer...do you know of this place? I cant remember the name of it. I know Herefords are generaly calmer, but I honestly dont see as many of them down here as I do the Brangus/Angus..I dont know if it has to do with coat color or what.

Or would it be better..versus considering breed, also upbringing? Would evetually like to put the 4-h project with Jam and have 2 heifers for calves...so I dont want a puke.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Bovines are still pretty new to me..I love to learn and have been listening and asking lots of questions..just call me a sponge! :)

spinandslide":4ox4lwyl said:
Back Hoe-You'd better start saving your pennies :lol: She would have to be outright viscious for no reason or not be able to carry a calf for me to sell her. I just wanted to make sure that what she did was due to her enviroment and not due to her being a "mean" cow...as I felt that way at first, but then was made to feel like it might have been the cow's fault..then was told no, her reaction was normal...very confusing!

I considered beefmasters for a long time, but the guy I bought her from said he only does Brangus and Angus..says they are the best for down this way...not sure how true it is...but I respect him, hes been in this his whole life. We might go with something calmer for my son's 4-h project(Hereford mabey), but I like my girl. :D

Texasbred-psssttt..Im not gentleman...Im a lady... :lol: thats OK, Ive been called worse ;-)
I have really given her a wide berth and have just been hanging out at the gate when I feed her(on the safe side of course!) and talking to her. She listens it seems, I see her satellite ears swinging everywhere. Last night she hung out at the gate, seeing if Id give her more food after she finished. Then she followed me down the driveway when I walked home and gave a huge bellow when she reached the end of pasture and could go no more. I think shes figured out who is the feeder.

I also brought my son with me, but kept him WAY far back. She is very unsure about him, but he insisted on coming..I gave him the talk about he needed to listen to me moreso tonight then ever. He was great. He sat about 10 yards away from the pasture and played with the cat. Was this far enough away? I dont know if he'll want to come across the street every night..but figured if he kept his distance from her pasture, she would be OK. She also came up to the gate of her own accord and sniffed at my hand..looking for food no doubt, but I feel this is a good way to get her on the gentler side and relaxed around people.

BullLady-thanks for the insight. My husband says she'll be inclined to be "hot" due to her breeding, but he says most "hot" cows, through feeding and interaction, will calm down to some degree. I bought her to raise beef from..I just need her gentle enough where Im not worrying about someone getting hurt. I accept the fact she may never do well with strangers...some animals are like that..

Just hoping shes pregnant! Poor girl has had a string of bad luck regarding that!

*Edited to add* Had someone tell me that getting her "too friendly" will cause problems, as she'll mow people over thinking they have food...knowing this heifer now, I dont think thats going to be a problem..but what are some thoughts on this?
they usually will settle down and mellow out after they mature and around their second calf.

I do not know how far you are from Bastrop Texas but bobby steiner at steiner brangus has some really great cattle. They are gentle to boot and Bobby is a great fella. He talked to me on the phone for about an hour one time in regards to questions I had about his cattle.

baxter78-2":10ogw6yp said:
I do not know how far you are from Bastrop Texas but bobby steiner at steiner brangus has some really great cattle. They are gentle to boot and Bobby is a great fella. He talked to me on the phone for about an hour one time in regards to questions I had about his cattle.
sure like his bull's look like good working no frill's animals..

baxter78-2":3cm1mn4c said:

Alittle further then Id like to travel :D not with diesel pulling up on the $4.50 mark

Disposition and conformation is my main concern. I guess I need to look into what type of classes they offer at the FFA and 4-h shows...the only cattle class I saw was a 4-h heifer class at the Texas/Oklahoma fair and they were ALL Brahmas...and they all had the same brand on their hip.

Brute 23":3l24yhip said:
Just my opinion, but IF your friend really has that much expereince with cattle... she shouldn't be as terrified as you describe.

;-)

Ahhh...I think shes more used to really docile cattle, not a range cow like Jam technicaly is. Thinking back on it, I prob shouldnt have stepped in front of Jam like I did..even if I was yelling at her..after she charged my friend..probably wasnt the safest or smartest thing to do.

baxter78-2":8p6mib5c said:

I kept saying Bobby I need to go and hed say well hang on a minute buddy. SO it turned into an hour long deal lol.

spinandslide":24v4ul56 said:
He says hes seen alot of ads for the place, but when he's called, he never gets an answer...do you know of this place?

There are to many places that run Brangus. There are many breeders around who are registered with the ABBA. Look them up on line and you'll find many in your area. I am a little east of you. I get out to Turner Seed at Breckenridge about twice a year for seed.

This is also beefmaster country. They were developed just down the road from you.

Each and everyone of us started somewhere. Some of us started sooner than others. If you are headed down the brangus path, you are on the right path in my opinion. Any breed of cow with brahman influence does fine here. Longhorns do fine too.

People from other climates will advise you differently in this forum. They'll quote pricing that is about exactly the opposite of what you'll see at Dublin. Go sit 18 hours through that Dublin Auction some time and see what fetches the most nickels. Cows and heifers with ear bring a premium. Half of your crop is female.

Get you a herd of Brangus cows, then cross a market bull on them. Herf will ring the bell and trim the ear. The baldy heifers won't do bad at all.

spinandslide":3w2nmgmy said:
Brute 23":3w2nmgmy said:
Just my opinion, but IF your friend really has that much expereince with cattle... she shouldn't be as terrified as you describe.

;-)

Ahhh...I think shes more used to really docile cattle, not a range cow like Jam technicaly is. Thinking back on it, I prob shouldnt have stepped in front of Jam like I did..even if I was yelling at her..after she charged my friend..probably wasnt the safest or smartest thing to do.

Atleast you knew what to expect. :D That becomes some what a big liability when you have people around and are showing them how tame the cattle are. We have a bull that I can feed out of my hand, but I won't show any one else because I don't want them to try it. :(
We also get those people that are like "Ya, I use to work on my uncles farm when I was a teenager... blah... blah... blah" :roll: :D

Sorry, didn't mean to lecture, would just hate to see some thing happen. :oops:

I like the Brangus traits for this area...you know, Texas is not an easy place in the summertime...The ranch we bought Jam at will have some weanlings in afew months and there is also a LARGE Brangus farm in Abilene. My husband is in the Air Force and works down there. He says hes seen alot of ads for the place, but when he's called, he never gets an answer...do you know of this place? I cant remember the name of it. I know Herefords are generaly calmer, but I honestly dont see as many of them down here as I do the Brangus/Angus..I dont know if it has to do with coat color or what.

Or would it be better..versus considering breed, also upbringing? Would evetually like to put the 4-h project with Jam and have 2 heifers for calves...so I dont want a puke.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Bovines are still pretty new to me..I love to learn and have been listening and asking lots of questions..just call me a sponge! :)

Big Elm Land and Cattle, Tommy Milliron?

backhoeboogie":cox97l8c said:
spinandslide":cox97l8c said:
He says hes seen alot of ads for the place, but when he's called, he never gets an answer...do you know of this place?

There are to many places that run Brangus. There are many breeders around who are registered with the ABBA. Look them up on line and you'll find many in your area. I am a little east of you. I get out to Turner Seed at Breckenridge about twice a year for seed.

This is also beefmaster country. They were developed just down the road from you.

Each and everyone of us started somewhere. Some of us started sooner than others. If you are headed down the brangus path, you are on the right path in my opinion. Any breed of cow with brahman influence does fine here. Longhorns do fine too.

People from other climates will advise you differently in this forum. They'll quote pricing that is about exactly the opposite of what you'll see at Dublin. Go sit 18 hours through that Dublin Auction some time and see what fetches the most nickels. Cows and heifers with ear bring a premium. Half of your crop is female.

Get you a herd of Brangus cows, then cross a market bull on them. Herf will ring the bell and trim the ear. The baldy heifers won't do bad at all.

Thanks BHB-that made alot of sense to me. I would like to attend some of the auctions in our area, I think that will be a good experience for me!

angus/Brangus-Yes, what you said makes sense and that is what Ive been told by cattlemen that I trust whom Ive asked the same thing. Basicaly, this was to be expected...

Brute-I guess I kinda figured my friend would aire on the side of caution. I dont want just anyone over there, espc after she charged my friend. Ill know now. We are going to a horse show this weekend and she will be on grass til I get back. I dont want anyone hurt. There is plenty of grass and she'll be fine.. but dually noted about bringing folks to see her.

I value my friend's opinion, thats why I wanted her to see her...I realize now that it was a bad idea. I wish I hadnt and I feel like it made a bad impression of my cow on my friend...Lesson learned though. Thanks for the "lecture"...which it really wasnt.

Yes, its Big Elm!