Update on Hubby aortic aneurysm

Help Support CattleToday:

presmudjo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. In a different thread it was mentioned my husband found out he had an aortic aneurysm as they were checking out his abdominal hernia with an ultrasound. I thought I would give you all an update. Its been eventful. This all started on Monday with a call from his Internist calling our house and telling my husband not to pick up a thing, no straining, no nothing and to come to the office asap to pick up a referral to a vascular surgeon. We went to the office, get the referral. The other doctor is a few blocks away. We stop at his office with the referral to make an appointment and get a jump on paperwork. While there, someone cancelled for Wednesday. Hubby got the appointment. Wednesday he goes over everything with that doctor. He needs a cat scan to see exactly what this thing looks like because he may not be able to do the stint, and if he has to be opened up, would have to go to Orlando as that is the best doctor for that surgery. Thursday that doctor was going to call with the referral for the cat scan. Thursday morning we are running into town for some hay for the cows (we have 2 and they should be leaving this week for freezer). As he turns the corner the truck goes wobbly. I'm like is someone going to hit us from behind. Then he says, I can't see. he pulls over to the turn lane for Winn-Dixie. I say what! He says I can't hardly see and gets to the parking lot. Then he is fine. I get in the driver seat. We call the doctor and then go to the emergency room. I saw it coming at triage. From chair to er bed, just outside nurse station. Same room as 13 years ago when he had a TIA. Blood pressure high, pulse, like non existent, hovering around 25. First test is the cat scan. At least the aneurysm has not broke and doesn't seem to be leaking. This is Halloween. We have our 5 year old daughter (adopted grand daughter). I have to leave at 2:30 to get home for the bus before 4. Get home, whip up food for my non eater, dress her up and head to town. Trick or Treat and go to hospital. They are keeping him and he is in the CDU. Cardiovascular Decision Unit. they start all the tests. I get back the next morning and he has had a bunch of tests, and many blood tests. They adjusted his meds and he got to come home Friday night. We had to monitor his blood pressure and pulse all weekend. Go to the Cardiologist today with the weekend readings. He adjusts meds a bit more and instructs us to call Vascular dr. tomorrow and he will have all releases done and he has talked with that doctor. They can do the stint, and need it done asap. His aneurysm is either 5.2 or 5.5 in size, I just can't remember the number, but it is big. His Internist and Cardiac Doctor are husband and wife, which makes paperwork really easy. So off for surgery soon we hope. Once he heals up from that it is off to fix that big ole nasty hernia he keeps poking back into his stomach. Mean while i hope my butcher can catch up and get my two in this week so I have one less thing to do! Thank you all for your concerns. Off to do my kindergarten flash cards and reading.

I have been the muscles for a while as his hernia was getting worse. Man disease, don't go to the doctor until it really hurts. I am so thankful he actually uped his regular 6 month appointment and we found all this out. Just not being able to do anything is driving him crazy, plus he feels like crap. 50 lb bags of feed going into the storage cans is good for me! It will work out, just scares the begebees out of ya. Also remembered we never did get around to the wills. Trying to figure that out correctly without a lawyer. Just don't have the $400 for that. You never know what could happen to you. Well last week one of the steers decided to get bloated. First I ever had to deal with it. Can't go in the field with that a-hole so I had to keep fooling him making him walk from one end to the other. He thought he was getting a treat. Then I had to separate the two to feed the other his grain. Just more fun, like I had nothing else to do. All was well in a couple days. I watch them eat now and see piggy was bullying the other for his grain. Now after some ear pulling and head taps, he stays on his side to eat. Maybe he learned with his belly ache too!

Thank you greybeard, now the hurry up and wait. But the kittens get their surgery tomorrow. Meadow and Gilbert (5 year old named them) can't produce children after that. Finally found a decent priced vet. Now if the butcher guy can get caught up. At least the chickens are laying again as about all he can do is get the eggs and walk to the mailbox. Does a few dishes now and then. He is going stir crazy.

That is a full plate you have . Prayers for your hubby and you , and please keep us updated on his recovery.

Prayers for your husband and your family. An aortic aneurysm was what got me into the cow business. Unfortunately, it wasn't found ahead of time. I hope surgery and recovery goes well.

Went to Dr. R, Cardiovascular, on Monday. He cleared for surgery. Still tweeking blood pressure meds, but all ok. His heart is great. Told us to call Dr. H, vascular, Tuesday and get set for surgery. Finally got appt. yesterday for today at 10 am. They still couldn't get his records from hospital. Even with us standing there, verifying birthdate etc., they can't get them. They call Dr. R, his office can't get the records from hospital. At least Dr. H is in building attached to hospital. We go get records. Finally get to see Dr. H. He explains it all out, shows us what goes in there. Wow, had no idea your aorta was that big. He wants to view the cat scan himself and then confer with manufacturer of stint device. He said he will be doing that this afternoon. Seems hubby has a big aorta and doctor wants to make sure the percentage is fine. If so, we will be off to surgery soon. He also wants to verify the aneurysm isn't above the kidney blood flow stems (don't recall medical terms), he likes to see that himself, not just the report. If the stint is the way to go, recovery is mostly healing the groin area where the equipment goes in. Very fascinating that stint fits in that little hose thing. Still takes a couple hours total for the procedure and 48 hours at least in hospital. The doctor is not happy his staff couldn't get the records and he said he will have to see whats going on. He looked perplexed since he can log on and get records all the time. I guess this big change over to computers is not working so well. Don't know if the hospital has upgraded, and staff at offices don't know how to use it or what. So that is where we stand. Hopefully he can get it done next week so has some time to recoup before the little one has the week off of school and home for a week. Thank you everyone for your prayers and concerns.

Stents are no big deal. Biggest complication is bleeding. It sounds like they have it under control. Keep us up on what's going on and good luck!

We would like a speedy recovery also. Have to get it done first! Hope to here from doctor office tomorrow. He is so annoyed between this thing and hernia. Can't do jack. At least war movies were on tv today. Our little one likes old tv shows, she hangs with daddy. She likes harriet and ozzie. Wouldn't let him change the channel.

Monday is the surgery. What a crazy road to get to this part. The doctors couldn't get through to insurance for authorization. It took almost 3 weeks and many hours on hold to get through. Approval was less than 24 hours. Seems insurance wasn't expecting everyone trying to get everything done by end of year. We have learned that Osceola Regional Hospital is pretty advanced. They have a top notch Cardiology Department, his Doctor is Chief of Staff. They now have a Vascular Department that is attracting the top notch, yup he got the high end doctor. Still on for the stint, but if has to be they will open up. Nervous as a squirrel. He has never had any type of surgery and with blood pressure and all it makes you nervous.

Of course the truck had to mess up Christmas eve. My Mom was here from Black Lake NY and I took her to Orlando to see my son's new house. On the way it went into limp mode. Got off road, shut off, restarted and all seemed fine. Got to son's house, and he scanned it, Throttle Acturary Stuck Closed. Got home ok. Borrowed neighbors truck thursday to be at hospital 7 am for bloodwork and paperwork for surgery. Same neighbor sent his mechanic over and he cleaned the Throttle assembly. Seemed fine. Took Mom to Airport Friday and it started racing. Called local dealership and explained everything. They said bring it in and you will have it back Saturday. They gave us a ride home! Not in their courtesy area. 3 hours later they called and all that needed done was a computer reset since we had done the repair it confused the computer and they came and picked us up.

The butcher got us in before expected and the two averaged 525 hanging each. We have 1/2 of each steer, and the neighbor the same. No idea how many pounds of meat that comes to in the freezer, but it sure looks good in there.

We had a very nice Christmas, and the gifts from my boys are in the mail. Yup, last minute shoppers.

Keep us in your prayers as I keep you all in mine.

Latest posts