Update Min- VitA- Aeo mix

Help Support CattleToday:

riquezada

Reaction score
I checked with Burkmann Feeds here in KY about a medicated mineral w/ lots of Vitamin A.. They have a "Cattle Guard Mineral" # 801. I am using #809 for the time being, no medication in it, but quite a bit Vitamin A.
I would like to use 801 but I have a horse and a donkey running with 30 cows. They say a horse can't have any due to the "Chlortetracycline" in it. Fortunately the horse has been for sale and I expect it sold and gone soon. Any body know about a donkey having it? I assume same goes for a donkey as a horse, but they are awful tough critters.

Thanks in advance...

I'm real familiar with Burkmann Feeds. That mineral should not be given to any Horses or Donkeys. But I would not let them get in the way of the Mineral demands for my Cattle. I'd put em' in a seperate pasture. Why have 30 cattle suffer for one Horse and a Donkey?

Crowderfarms":3h2ewvcm said:
I'm real familiar with Burkmann Feeds. That mineral should not be given to any Horses or Donkeys. But I would not let them get in the way of the Mineral demands for my Cattle. I'd put em' in a seperate pasture. Why have 30 cattle suffer for one Horse and a Donkey?

Well put.

Crowderfarms":1csbn9q3 said:

The horse is hopefully going soon. he's too hard on the page wire fences. As for the donkey, he's going to stay put. There are a bunch of stray dogs around these parts. I have seen him more than once remove them from the pastures.

I'd take care of the stray Dogs, and put the Donkey in another lot.My point is that the Cows need their Minerals.The Donkey is I understand a Security Guard, but on the other hand, he's causing you to compromise your Cow's nutitional/ mineral program. What's more important? The occaisional stray Dog showing up or the well being of your Herd? I've got a huge amount of woods, and dogs come through here a lot.I can manage to control them, without a Donkey gettin' in the way.I'm not trying to sound too harsh, but if I had something keeping me from keeping up my game plan for feeding or minerals, etc, it'd be history.

jerry27150":2bxa0cff said:
since a lot of people run a donkey with the cattle, i wouldn't worry about him getting too much mineral

I'm sort of thinking that way. The mineral wouldn't be the problem. I think the problem is the "antibiotic" type of stuff in the medicated mineral mix like Aeromyacin or Chlortetracyclene.

Latest posts