Uncommon Friends

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Looks like little L.B. has a friend. Some of you may recall my Bella was diagnosed with lymphoma about a month ago. I let her and her calf join the herd but she is now completely blind and stays primarily in/around the woods by the south pond. Noticed the racoon making an appearance a couple weeks ago and to be honest, my initial reaction was to shoot it. But after observing for a while it appears he hangs out with them most of the time and he's clearly figured out I'm the one bringing the goodies.

True Grit Farms":lkf38evb said:
That's a neat picture, just keep an eye on the coon. Rabies?
My initial concern. Took the 223 out of the boot many times but couldn't bring myself to do it. The coon will run up to her pile, snatch a cube then back off about a foot and eat it. Doesn't bother L.B. a bit and while Bella can definitely smell & sense him when he gets close to her, she pretty much ignores him. He's not aggressive, even came about 10' from the Polaris this morning. That said, Bella is declining fast so I suspect the party will soon be over.

TCRanch":7qjf2x7n said:
True Grit Farms":7qjf2x7n said:
That's a neat picture, just keep an eye on the coon. Rabies?
My initial concern. Took the 223 out of the boot many times but couldn't bring myself to do it. The coon will run up to her pile, snatch a cube then back off about a foot and eat it. Doesn't bother L.B. a bit and while Bella can definitely smell & sense him when he gets close to her, she pretty much ignores him. He's not aggressive, even came about 10' from the Polaris this morning. That said, Bella is declining fast so I suspect the party will soon be over.

Another new learning curve in the cattle business. Somethings sure make you wonder why, keep your head up and charge forward.

Latest posts